Tuesday, January 12

Since I first started really running, which was when I was about 21, I have always run alone. I never had friends that were into it so it was an activity I always did by myself. This was never problematic though, I liked the time to myself to just space out or day dream and listen to music. Besides it always seemed like it would be a hassle to have a running partner(s) because you would have to coordinate schedules and you would also have find partner(s) who ran about the same pace so you. I however would feel a little twinge of jealousy when I ran by two girls or a gaggle of girlfriends or god forbid the cheeky running couple. They certainly looked like they were having fun but I just assumed these were people more social or less motivated people than myself. They needed the distraction of conversation in order to run, right?

I can't speak for anyone else's experience or motives for running with others, but for the past few months I have done nothing but run with Mike and it hasn't been anything like I expected. I was definitely a little nervous before we first started running together. Would he want to talk the entire time? Would I have to come up topics of conversation? Would I *gasp* not be able to wear my ipod?? Every time I saw people running together, they never seemed to be listening to music so would I have to give that up so as not to be rude? Would he run so slow that I would be tempted to ditch him? Or worse yet, would he run faster than me and leave me in the dust?

Thankfully, none of my fears came to fruition. Turns out running with Mike is not that much different than running alone except I have someone to crack jokes to, purge my thoughts to when an important one comes up and occasional say "did you see that???" to. On Sunday we were about half way done with our 15 miler and out of no where a man who was probably around 65 years old who had a very unusual stiff armed gait zoomed past us. Mike shot me a "are you fucking kidding me" look (he was struggling a little at that point)and I laughed. I have been passed by old people during races before and it stings. You just don't know what it is to have your ego deflated until you are at around mile 22, suffering, and a little old lady runs past you, breezily. It sucks but it happens to most runners, especially new ones. I told him that there was no way he was running 15 miles, he was probably going 2 so his legs are fresher. Who knows if that is true or not but it made him and me feel a little better!

For the most part when we run together we both have our ipods on and run near each other, but not side by side. I am still able to zone out, listen to music and essentially be alone with my thoughts if that is what I chose. I now have the option of sharing those thoughts if I chose to do that too. There is also a sense of camaraderie. We are in this together, we will suffer together and we will get through it together. It is reassuring.

He also probably thinks I encourage him more than he does me, but he helps me out more than he thinks he does. Being around him reminds me to celebrate my victories and appreciate that I can run. There are a lot of mental hurdles you have to get through when you train for a long distance race. You have to first believe that it is physically possible for you to actually run that distance. Most people don't even consider it in the realm of possibility to run 26.2 miles and see people who do as freaks of nature. To get your head around the fact that yes, you can run that distance, can be difficult. There is always a nagging thought of failure that follows you around but you have to ignore that voice in order to keep going. It is amazing how quickly we dismiss what is in the realm of our possibility before we even try. Sometimes the mental struggle can be worse than the physical one.

I have never really celebrated my training runs because frankly no one ever really got it nor did I feel like anyone really wanted to hear it. Oh you ran 15 miles, who cares? Stop bragging. No one certainly wants to hear the details if they aren't into running, and understandably so! But because of this in the past I would run 15 miles, smile smugly, then go home and get on with my day. Sometimes I would blog about it, but I could sense the eye rolling when the word "running" came up;) Seeing Mike every week running the longest distance of his life though is inspiring and it helps me to celebrate these victories too. Even better, I have someone to share my reward meals with! It is just a whole lot more fun going to Dai Bai Dang and ordering 3 dishes with someone else than alone:)

I really enjoy having a running partner, more so than I ever thought I would. Perhaps this is mostly due to the fact that our personalities are so compatible that it makes it easy, but in any case I have had a more enjoyable training experience with Mike than I ever did alone. There is something to be said about going at it alone, but it doesn't make going at it with someone (no pun intended)any less of an accomplishment. I am now a part of the annoying cheeky running couple, oui!

4 comments:

m.wise said...

i'm glad you're finding happiness in all these areas of your life. keep it up.

edluv said...

i had a distance runner room mate at one point and he told me about how funny it was to run with a group. he said it's pretty distracting, in a good way, and you can run a lot farther than you think because you're having a good time.

i also see our distance team running together and it seems like they've got a good thing going together.

Carrie said...

I still don't think I am capable of ever running that far, but mostly because I don't think I could jump the mental hurdles. I am always jealous of runners, whether alone or in a group. Good for you!

Lulu said...

Thanks Mike:)

Yes it is a good distraction and I definitely think it is easier to run further when you are with people too. Even if it is a struggle, I will push myself further if I know he will too.

The important thing Carrie is to start small. Going for a half mile run or even running for 5 minutes at a time is where you start. Like anything if you want to get better you have to be consistent. If you are consistently running and gradually building you can get there, no matter how long it takes.