Wednesday, January 27

The real soup nazis, Cambells


Jezebel reminded me of the existence of this commercial that makes me angry everytime I watch it. The very clear premise is that a "light" meal of 310 calories is waaaay too many calories and a meal of 80 calories is much better for you ladies out there who are watching your figures.

In case you are not aware, 310 calories is in no way too many calories and 80 calories for a meal is ridiculously low. That barely qualifies a snack. As a general rule of thumb, most women should consume approximately 1,200 calories a day or 15 soups in this case. So unless you are eating 15 meals a day, this is not a meal and to market and advertise it as such is wrong.

I have tried these soups myself (before these wretched commercials came out)and I think they taste ok. I am not a big soup eater but they are good as a side dish to a meal or as an appetizer. They could use a dash of hot sauce for some flavor but overall not too bad so it isn't the soup itself I have a problem with but the advertising.

The premise of this commercial is just ridiculous, wrong and sends a bad messsage. Not suprisingly it is directed towards women so ladies if you are eating meals that are 310 calories, open your eyes and take off the blindfolds, you pigs are obviously eating too much and need to cut those calories down to anorexic levels.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I've thought the same thing about this commercial. I'm supposed to freak out about a 300 calorie frozen diet dinner? I was pretty shocked on that one. I think they are grasping at straws since they dont have the weight watchers endorsement like Progresso does, but still, really really irresponsible of them.

Canned soup is pretty gross anyway.