Thursday, January 28

See, I DO take breaks sometimes:)

There is definitely pros and cons for marathon training at different times of the year. Since the LA marathon has changed dates and it is earlier in the year than it has been in the past, the majority of training is done during the winter. Weather wise this is not a problem as it never gets very cold here and I actually prefer to run in the colder weather. However the days are shorter so there is not enough daylight to run outside during the week. At the begining of the training you aren't running more than 5 miles on any particular day which is do-able on a treadmill because it takes less than an hour.

For the past few weeks however we have been running 7 and 8 milers during the week which is driving me insane. The actual mileage is not bad, my body can handle it fine, but mentally I am so incredibly bored that every mile goes by so slowly that an hour and 20 minutes feels like 3 hours. Last weekend we did 17 outside and I was never bored for a second and the almost 3 hours flew by.

I think a lot of it has to do with my ability to zone out and/or daydream outside. Inside at a gym there are so many little distractions that I can't get into that zone. So last night I just couldn't get myself to do the 8 miles on a treadmill. I decided that I just plain didn't want to do it, it wasn't a crucial run and instead I would just enjoy my evening with Mike, make dinner (I made a GREAT apple salad with arugula, goat cheese and a homemade dressing - it was a clean recipe too) and relax. It was quite nice and energizing because today I look forward to the run (another 8 miler). However that is probably because we dicided to run outside on the trail. There should be just enough light in the day to get it done if we start right after work.

I do not like skipping workouts so I did my pushups in order to do something. That is hard by the way but I am sticking with it. As Mike as my witness, I will do 100 push ups!

So that is what is going on with me.

No comments: