Friday, October 9

Rugby has been accepted by the International Olympic Committee as one of the two new sports for inclusion into the Olympic Games from 2016 in Rio de Janeiro. I admit that I have only seen one live rugby game and only a handful of games on tv (including a travel channel show featuring the sport) but this is a sport I can totally get behind and I am excited to watch more of.

If these clips of rugby tackles is any indication, this is a rough sport that makes the NFL look pretty tame in comparision (note the lack of pads):



I have about 3 years to learn the rules of the game:)

6 comments:

Adam said...

Those fuckers are hardcore.

edluv said...

while i understand including new sports, i question including more professional sports like rugby and golf, especially when you are cutting existing sports that are mainly amateur, like softball. it seems like the olympics is taking a tactic of trying to bring in sports that the u.s. isn't good at.

Lulu said...

I am ok with and really like more non U.S.-centric sports being included (not saying you dont think that way Ed) but I know what you are saying in regard to rugby and golf being more professional but didnt they also get rid of baseball? I wonder what criteria they evoke when deciding whats in and whats out.

Adam said...

All I know is they need to broadcast way more curling than they ever do during the winter olympics and not on some obscure channel at 3 in the morning.

Lulu said...

I think if Curling had full body tackles without pads, it would get prime time status;)

Adam said...

See, the funny thing is that they do. People just don't know because they don't air it.

:-P