Monday, September 28

Weekend Recap

We got a bit of a late start with the wallpaper removal on Saturday, but after about 4 hours of work we took everything off without much trouble. It was a great deal easier than I expected and I actually think I prefer removing wallpaper to painting. I suppose I wouldnt think that if I had trouble with it though.

We started out with a trip to Lowes and came back with scorers, scrappers and spray gel wallpaper remover. This is what it looked like before we started:

The first step was to score the wallpaper so the little holes that were made would suck up and absorb the remover into the wallpaper and it would come off easier. The remover was to stay on for 15 minutes before you started pulling the wallpaper off, but we quickly found out that you didn't need anything at all but it came off dry very easily. So I started on that and I worked ahead getting it off of the dining room and kitchen while Mike and his Dad started scraping the back of the wallpaper, or whatever that layer was between the wallpaper and the wall, off.

I took over the scraping from Mike's Dad when I was done and started scraping my little heart away. I was really suprised how easy it came off. It mostly came off in big strips and there weren't a lot of remnants left. This is what it looked like once it was all scraped off:

I got the rest of that crap off with a wet sponge but I didnt take a picture of it, but that's the gist. Now I just need to patch that hole where the phone jack was and prime and paint. Progress has been made.

This weekend I also discovered that my succulents had started blooming! I love that you never know what is going to happen with those and when so you always have to be observant or you might miss something. One of my succulent groups I planted a couple of months ago that looked like this:

has grown a lot and now looks like this, with a pretty little white flower:

Here is another blooming succ:

They are growing so fast right now!

Finally, I visited Annie and her babies Reagan and the brand new one Kiera on Sunday. Reagan is always adorable and full of energy and life so it was hard to get her to stand still. This was a rare moment captured on film:

And her little sister who is two weeks old today, Kiera (she was not hard to get to stay still):

She is so little and hasn't done anything but sleep when I have seen her (apparantly babies do a lot of that, lazy little bastards) but she has probably gained about 2 pounds already so she is growing fast. I can't wait to see her personality develop like her sisters.

That is all. Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Adam said...

Glad the wallpaper came off without too much damage or hassle. I can't wait to see the finished project. Keep it up!

Monticore said...

I think it's pretty cool that your new boyfriend's dad was so eager to pitch in and help. That's super cool.

miriam said...

Yay for boyfriends! Mine is so handy when it comes to yard work and home improvement. You know you've found a good one when they roll up their sleeves and jump right in.

Hey, I know Joe and Annie too! They are good friends of Sophia's dad. Too bad things went sour in my relationship with him, they seem like really neat people.

By the way, your Cacti look great!

Lulu said...

Oh cool, I didnt know you knew Annie and Joe! They are good people.

It's nice to have Mike help me out because I really like to do stuff around the house but I dont always know what I am doing so I get nervous to just jump into things. He either knows how to do things or is brave enough to jump in so I get that little boost to go ahead and try.

And Monti it was very nice of his Dad to volunteer to help out. I got him a banana cream pie to thank him, I think he liked it:)