Tuesday, September 1

"Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high
Take a look, it's in a book"

If you recogize these lyrics then you, like me, were a watcher of the PBS program Reading Rainbow hosted by Levar Burton (AKA Geordi La Forge on Star Trek: The Next Generation). Remember this?:

Sadly that show will be going off the air after a 26 year long run on Friday.

Ok so I didn't know that show was even still on but it was my favorite show as a kid and helped me develop a love of reading and I am sure it did the same for a lot of kids.

If you are feeling nostolgic, here is a clip from that show from 1983 featuring an awesomely bad song about checking out library books. That Levar Burton has some moves!:

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow, major blast from my childhood past. I was a Reading Rainbow fan too. And oddly enough, I was just wondering if this show was still on. Like, yesterday.

Lulu said...

Really? Now you know and knowing is half the battle! I wonder what the other half is?

edluv said...

the other half is lying. or maybe running away.

Lulu said...

ha!

Adam said...

The other half is turning double agent and ratting out your friends.

I loved this show growing up. I remember an episode in Hawaii where he visited a ceramic artist that fired their pots in wood coals.

One more bit of nostalgia.

Kris10 said...

I still remember the theme song like it was yesterday..."take a look, it's in a book..." :)