Wednesday, September 2

I Want This

As my grass continues to grow, I have been browsing a lot of websites to come up with ideas for my patio. I love to look at Apartment Therapy, which is where I found this:




After getting past the adorable puppy I saw the really cool DIY succulent planter that was in the background. Obviously I love succulents and I love how simple this is to do yet has a strong visual impact.

The materials that were used were 12" cinder blocks (the kind you would use to build a column) and liquid nails to hold them together to eliminate grout lines. To make the cinder block planters that stick out, the blocks were cut(something I have no clue how to do)and liquid nails were again used to adhere them to the rest of the planter.

I think it is a fantastic idea and would look great underneath my living room window. Anyone know what you would need to cut cinder blocks?

4 comments:

Adam said...

One thing you could try is scoring a line and trying to chip off the waste. It's tedious and tough to do with modern materials like concrete cinder blocks but has mild to moderate success if done right.

The other thing you can do is get a circular saw such as the infamous and ubiquitous Skil saw with a concrete cutting blade or perhaps a tile cutting saw, both something you could rent I believe.

I'd be happy to lend a hand if you decide you want to give it a go.

Lulu said...

Thanks Adam, I dont really know what you said but we might have something like that in the shop. I need to put the patio in first but once that is done I would love some help:)

edluv said...

yeah, i was going to say circular saw with proper blade.

adam,
would a jigsaw also work? i'm also curious about rotary saw/tool (like a dremmel).

Adam said...

I'd be scared to try a jigsaw. That dust wouldn't be good for the bed of the saw or the moving parts.

A dremmel would probably do it but I bet it would be slooooow going, probably about as quick as the score and chip method.