Monday, April 6

Things have changed since I went to Church last

Granted it has been almost 20 years since I regularly attended church (I don't really count that time in high school where I was trying to belong to something and went to youth bible school camp thing otherwise known as Hume Lake). However, I was walking back from the gym on Sunday and I was passing St. Therese and couldn't tell if some of them were going to Sunday Mass or to a Sunday afternoon backyard BBQ. Casual jeans and shorts were quite common, and I even saw quite a short, tight jean mini skirt on a girl in her teens that would have made me rather uncomfortable at Starbucks, let alone church.

Now I know that we are a much more casual society than we ever have been and I am not even religious but I feel like people should dress a little nicer and more appropriately when attending church services, particularly at a nice catholic church like St. Therese. And although I am sure that some famlies that attend those services don't have a lot of money, the people I saw were not lacking money based on the brand and current styles they were wearing. Of course there were also people and families who were dressed nicely and respectfully, particularly the older couples who were just so darn cute in their hats and ties. Maybe I just have a fondness for dressing up and I like the retroness (yup, I said retroness) of the old school style of wearing your Sunday best. It is interesting how religious standards can change with changes in society.

In any case, I also came across this picture of a young actress (I think she is in Gossip Girl) this morning who is actually is not going to a Blondie look a like contest but going to church services. I also question her choice in church outfits.

Maybe it is an antiquated way of thinking but I don't think fishnets should be allowed in church. The rest of her isn't terrible though. Much better than the mini denim skirt.
Do I really care, no. I was just suprised a bit when I noticed how much more casual church goers are these days.

11 comments:

Kris10 said...

I personally like the black platfrom stripper boots the chick on the right is wearing...at least the little girl has some morals and isn't all hooked out...YET!!!

Adam said...

I think it's called being inclusive.

Or we don't live in the 1950's anymore. :-P

Lulu said...

At least she put a blazer over it and the young girl is in jeans but she still looks appropriate for church. Oh those edgy celebrities, gotta look cool!

Yeah I hear those Cathloics are a very inclusive group. They love and accept everyone...

Adam said...

"appropriate for church" is still an arbitrary and subjective judgement.

Pretty sure the Amish wouldn't find your idea of what to wear to church "appropriate".

Or Apostolics:

"The Apostolic lady always appears in clothing which celebrates her gender. A good rule of thumb to follow is the outline of her shape should not be defined above the knee. When purchasing a skirt or dress be sure to bend from the waist and at the knee. Sit down in the dressing room and ensure your skirt stays put!"

Or Muslims either.

Lulu said...

Thats fine. My personal opinion is people should dress for church more coservatively than they would if they were going to a bbq or a rock concert. I also think people who are fat should not wear crop tops.

Monticore said...

I'm torn. See one part of me says that putting a nice coat of paint (so to speak) doesn't really make sense when you are going to house of worship where it's what's on the inside that counts. But then there is a part of me that thinks it is appropriate to dress in your "sunday best" to show reverence for the tradition,

Lulu said...

I understand where you are coming from there Monti. I think it can also depend on the type of church service you are going to and the church. If your church is casual then I can understand just following the norm. I think that church in particular is so grandiose and beautiful that I have an expectation for people to match that in their attire.

In any case, dressing like a hochie mamma for any type of church service is wrong to me. You are supposed to be there to praise God and work on your faith, not try to get men to lust after you.

Adam said...

Wow? That's hoochie momma? I mean, it's not the norm for the type of church I grew up in, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them hoochie mama or even hooker-ish.

Especially considering most of the hookers I've seen, wear sweat pants and baggy t-shirts.

Lulu said...

I was using hoochie momma generally and not referring to any one person in particular.

Justin said...

I remember we used to get new church clothes for Easter. Somehow I convinced my mom that checkerboard slip on vans qualified. It was part of a whole Don Johnson thing I was rockin at the time. Of course I couldn't wear them to school, because they were church shoes.

By the way, great series of posts Lulu1 I haven't checked your blog in a couple days, but I think I've left 3 or four comments tonight.

Lulu said...

Thanks Justin and btw, I still love the checkerboard slip on vans.