Sunday, January 4

Last night I made spaghetti squash for the first time and I really liked it. It took a lot longer than I expected to cook the squash since I have an oven that is quite fickle but after an hour and a half it came out beautifully. I actually like it better eating it with just a fork out of the squash than I did when I put ground turkey and a red sauce on it. The sauce just masked the flavor of the squash, which is really good all by itself. In the future I would go with a lighter sauce, or none at all and just use it as a side dish.

I also watched the X-Files movie that came out over the summer last night. I was lukewarm about the first movie but I thought this one was much better. I always like the characters of Scully and Mulder and the story line was pretty solid and it had that creepy vibe the X-Files is known for. If you havent seen it and like the X-Files, you would probably like it too.

I have also been thinking of New Years resolutions this year and decided to take a little bit of a different approach. This year instead of listing the things I want to change and tackling them all at once, I am going to focus on changing something every month. For January I am going to work on my spending, specifically I am not going to buy any clothes or shoes for the month. I know a lot of you are probably thinking uh whats the big deal, it is only a month. Well this may be true but you see I have developed quite the shopping habit. I rarely go a few weeks without buying something, whether that be a scarf or pair of shoes or sweater. I have justified this spending because typically everything I buy is on sale or I will buy from an inexpensive store. However I am still spending money that I do not always need to be spending, even if it is on sale. With all the after Christmas sales going on I have been really tempted to give in and buy things but so far I have been able to stop myself.

Although this is not a New Years Resolution that I will keep the entire year, I think it will really show me how much I have been spending and wasting, and it will also teach me to not always give into that little urge to shop and buy. I love clothes and I will never give up shopping entirely, but I don't need to buy everything I want or think that I want.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Speaking of clothes, I think I have a pair of your gloves.

miriam said...

It is a big deal. I'm a Target shopper. Like a mofo. It's embarrassing. Maybe I should add this goal to my 101 things...

Lulu said...

Miriam Target is one of my biggest downfalls, I shop there frequently for household things and always go to the clothing or shoe department and pick something up I don't really need but it is cheap and cute so why not! I went there on Sunday and averted my eyes. It worked pretty well, out of sight out of mind.

Adam, I know.