Thursday, May 1

A Pain in My Freakin Neck

For the past couple of months every few weeks I get what a kink in my neck. More specifically the pain is in my lower neck near my shoulder blade. Movement of the neck however is when I feel the pain so I refer to it as a pain in the neck. It feels like a kink you get in your neck when you sleep on it wrong, so that is just what I thought it was.

This morning I woke up feeling fine but while I was walking into the office all of the sudden it sort of seized up and I felt a sharp pain when I even slightly moved my neck. It loosened up a bit but if I try to put my head all of the way back or all of the way down, I can feel the pain shooting down my shoulder blade and and lower neck. Since I had been awake for about an hour at that point I am suspicious if it had anything to do with the way that I slept.

Also it is in the same exact spot every time it happens and if it was from sleeping wrong I would think it wouldnt be in the same exact location. The pain will gradually decrease but it will hurt for a good 5-7 days if not more which makes me think maybe I strained a ligament or something and if thats the case what am I doing to cause this? I have had my mom rub the area and she can feel knots and says it is really tight so I have her really dig into it as hard as she can and it hurts so good but only while she is doing it. Afterwards it gets really sore like a bruise and continues to hurt like a strain at the same time.

Basically I dont know what the cause is and I dont know how to treat it. Any thoughts and or suggestions would be appreciated. I have thought of going to get a massage or even a chiropractor (I know people have some opinons about this) but so far I have just been putting up with it until it goes away and I need to be more proactive.

8 comments:

edluv said...

i would say, based on my similar experience, that it is muscle tightness and strain due to stress.

Lulu said...

I dont feel particularly stressed but I definitely have had a lot on my mind lately so it is possible. I also sit hunched in front of a computer all day which cant help.

Lulu said...

Now that I think about it, my stress has to do with work and so is the hunching so perhaps thats what needs to be deal with.

Adam said...

I would see a masseuse or masseur first.

Adam said...

Oh, and I call dibs on your pinata turn.

Lulu said...

what does that mean, you call dibs on my turn?

And yeah, a massage is the direction I would generally like to go first. So much more pleasant too.

carly said...

Kasey--really weird, but I get almost the same thing. And for me it's stress.

It only happens if I'm at my desk, near the end of the day and it BURNS. Today I told someone it felt like the muscle was tearing. Lol. So, yeah, go get a massage and get that worked out, sister!

Lulu said...

So I have one of these hard foam tube things (worst explanation ever) that you use to stretch with and self massage areas you cant reach by rolling on it. I remembred I had it last night so I busted it out and tried to roll on it on my back and after 10 minutes of struggling finally got it in the right position and I could feel it digging into the knot and it was heaven. I have a lot better range of motion now but I need to do it again tonight because I can still feel knots. And until I have the time to get a real massage, that'll do.