Monday, April 14

Weekend Recap & Jaywalking

It was the first really warm weekend and I took advantage of that by going to the Grizzlies game on Friday and playing some golf with Nick and Potter yesterday afternoon. Ed posted a nice recap of the Grizzlies game on his blog so I will not repeat any of that except to say "Hey remember when Kobe Bryant jacked your nachos?". Priceless.

I hadn't swung a golf club since last fall which was painfully obvious yesterday at Hanks Swanks (whatever that place is called). The first tee off involved about 8 or 9 whiffs before I shanked it off to the right. The only real golf highlight for me was one drive that hit the flag and using Nicks Cobra that made an oh so pretty sound when you hit it. It was a good time and I definitely think we should do that more often. The night concluded with Nick and Adam both falling asleep on my couch watching MXC (awww). It was a busy weekend and everyone was a bit tuckered.

We also discussed the origins of the "jaywalking" this weekend and I did a little research and came up with this explanation:
"The complete Oxford English Dictionary traces the word jaywalker back to 1917 and labels it 'originally US'. There is a cross-reference to the word jay, which has a number of slang senses. The relevant one is 'a stupid or dull person, a simpleton. Also (as adjective) dull, unsophisticated; inferior, poor'. This is labelled 'US colloquial', and there is evidence of use from 1900. So persons who stupidly ignored traffic regulations were given (in Boston, it seems) this compact name.

So now we know, and knowing is half the battle.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dang, people have been insulting me my whole life and I didn't know it.

Lulu said...

haha, I know I was thinking about you when I read that. Who knew your name was such an insult. I think I am going to start using it as an adjective, "I went out on a bad date with this guy and he was such a Jay!";)

Fishy said...

for the record, it is not a cobra, it is a callaway X460. golf was alot of fun, andif i were staying in town, i would do that more, but if you come up to napa, there are corses that weave through grape vines, very pretty.

haha! jay's name is an insult to himself.

Lulu said...

Oh sorry, god I am such a Jay sometimes! All I know is I liked the power:) And golf in Napa - I dont see how you can go wrong with that.
I also know Napa has a great scenic marathon course too, I might have to look into that as well.

m.wise said...

yeah, that line did go over pretty well.

Lulu said...

It was an instant classic Mike:)