Thursday, March 20

More March Madness & The SPCA

Thanks to everyone for getting your brackets to me. Currently we have a total of 7 people playing and I should get an 8th this morning, so the pot should be 80 bucks. I will update wins and losses each day there are games so we always know where we stand (and we can taunt those who aren't doing well. Also, if you didn't keep a copy of your bracket and would like me to scan it and email it to you, let me know. This is my favorite day of the tournament because it's when all the upsets happen and it looks like the first game starts at 12:20 ET with Xavier taking on Georgia. Good luck everyone!

In unrelated news last night I went to volunteer orientation at the Central California SPCA. I want to run my next marathon as a fundraiser but I didn't want to do Team in Training which raises money for lukemia research because they already get a lot of people running and raising money for them. so I started to look at local organizations. I also wanted to start volunteering somewhere and helping animals sounded like a good idea.

The orientation was really long because the woman just wouldn't stop talking and consistently went off on tangents. Someone asked something about why ferrets were illeal in California and she went off for 10 minutes even though it had nothing to do with the SPCA. Anyway they have a lot of various jobs that they need done like cleaning the cages, walking the dogs, greeting and helping people who come looking to adopt or find their lost pets, education, special events, taking pictures of the dogs and so on and so forth. I am not sure yet what I will be doing but probably a little of everything. They are also really flexible with their volunteers, you basically just show up whenever you want to and do something. I plan on going in every weekend to help out.

They took us on a tour of the facility and it was definitely hard to see all of the cats and dogs in cages that were sometimes dirty and marred with feces and urine. Some of the dogs growled at you, some were very friendly, and some seemed sad and depressed. It will not be easy knowing that some of these animals will be euthanized but I figure if I can't stop that from happening, then maybe I can help either prevent it by educating the public or just make the dog a little bit happier and more comfortable for a short time. What is also is going to be hard is not being able to take one home with me! They had some beautiful big dogs there that I would have loved to take with me but alas, I have no yard, someday though. I even thought some of the cats were cute and I could take home with me and I generally don't care very much for them.

Anyway they need a lot of help and a lot of money at the SPCA so hopefully I will be able provide a little of both. Fresno is way behind in spaying and nuetering their anmials which is one reason for such an abundance of homeless animals and seeing as you can get that done for free there as well as get free obedience training, there is no reason for it.

Thats all folks.

17 comments:

Fishy said...

xavier needs to have a better 2nd half, or i'm boned right out of the gate.

Lulu said...

I know, I have been watching that score. Everyone picked them, but you are really screwed if they dont get by. Thats ok though, I think you will like the biggest loser prize anyway.

Fishy said...

3 for 3, suck-it bitches. so far so good.

Lulu said...

Mike and I are ther only ones who didnt get all 3 so far so I suppose we are the ones sucking it. Thanks Temple.

edluv said...

i need the scan + email.

thanks.

and, cross out that i owe you $5, as brian paid it for me. remember.

Lulu said...

I already did Ed and I will get your bracket to you.




Go Kentucky!!!

Fishy said...

don't worry, i picked oral rob over pit, so i'll prob lose that one.

Lulu said...

Kent State only scored 10 points in the entire half? Thats just embarassing.

Fishy said...

and i have unlv in that game, i'm okay in 2 games now, but down by
2o+ in the other 2

Lulu said...

Sorry to break it to you Nick but you actually picked Kent State and not UNLV, muhahaha! I will email your bracket to you.

Fishy said...

i know, i have a copy. i'm down with kent & oral rob, but good with marquette & purdue

Fishy said...

kent st. = 10 1st half points aong with 17 1st half turnovers. fuckers, you can't win like that. and you oral roberts, atleast make a game out of it, you guys are killing me.

Lulu said...

And Kentucky was soo close to pulling off the first upset, damn.

That 10 point first half though, ouch. Thats got to be the record winner of the worst offensive first half performance by a team in the tournament.

Brian is holding strong right now. So far he is gotten them all correct. He is the only one though and there are several with one loss.

Fishy said...

what are you talking about, georgia almost beat xavier this mornign which would have screwed me big time. i'll take 5 of 7 so far, i'll pick and underdog that brian didn't, and i'll take over again.

Lulu said...

Yeah thats right, Xavier did have to come from behind (insert joke here).

m.wise said...

did they have to or did they choose to.

edluv said...

i hate usc.