Thursday, February 14

Alright, Lets Just Get This Over With

So I approached this Valentines Day as I do all Valentines Days, basically as a non event. My approach evolved from a long time loathing of the holiday I developed by being perpetually single but over the years I eased up on the loathing and embraced indifference. Good for everyone else to have someone to spend time with and love, everyone should have that. Yes it can be a bit of rub in the face when everyone around you is getting flowers or is talking about their plans for the evening but I hate to think that someone elses happiness is contributing to my unhappiness, so I just smile and try to avoid the question of whether or not I have any plans so as to not have to see the look of pity when I say I have none (you all know the look I am talking about).

I am ok with not having plans but the more people keep bringing it up and the more I see reminders of the holiday everywhere I go, the more I realize it is unavoidable to not think about your love life on February 14th. I might as well just get it over with. So here it goes:

I am single for numerous reasons. Some reasons have to do with the difficulty in meeting (quality) people, some reasons have to do with my own behavior and the tough exterior I put on to protect myself from being vulnerable, some have to do with finding someone I have a connection with and most importantly I can trust, and some have to do with being selective of who I do go out with, etc etc. Whatever the reasons, love has been elusive to me.

So what is a girl to do? Sit around and bitch about it to anyone who will listen? No, no, no, I definitely do not want to be the bitter/angry girl, thats pathetic. Besides I have always perferred a more proactive approach but since there is definitely an element of luck involved with meeting people, I feel there is only so much I can do. But I can keep my chin up, my eyes open and enjoy the time I do have being single. Lets be honest, there is a lot of wonderful freedom that comes with being single and as great as relationships can be, they all have problems. Just today a co-worker was complaining to me about his wife and the problems they are having. I think thats the most important thing I have learned over the years, that naive belief that love is a fairy tale, has been replaced with the knowledge that relationships can be incredibly rewarding but not always incredibly easy.

I keep a lot inside so it can feel good to get some of it off my chest. I am mostly happy but I get sad sometimes and thats ok. Kahil Gibran once said "The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." When I am feeling down, that quote makes me feel better. Right now I am doing just fine though:) When you have a sister and a mom who remind you that you are in fact loved and appreciated, it is hard to feel sorry for yourself for long!

So to everyone out there who has someone to spend time with today, enjoy it and love and appreciate that person in your life. And if you are single enjoy your freedom and don't worry too much about the future. Your future wife/husband is out there somewhere probably wondering where you are too.

9 comments:

Adam said...

Whenever someone brings it up with me. I'm just going to picture that monkey's ass in my mind.

I'm so glad I found that this morning.

Lulu said...

I agree, that picture is awesome and really when else will picturing a monkeys ass make you feel better?

edluv said...

1. Tell everyone you're going to rademacher tonight. That will get them off your back.

2. get a man already. your parents want babies.

3. your coworker was hitting on you. they all are.

Lulu said...

1. Done
2. See Post, Paragraph 3 (eek babies! One step at a time!)
3. I wouldnt be suprised, I have met his wife

Anonymous said...

I always said that Valentine's Day is Single Awareness Day. I've always not liked this day. I'm sure it's for the same reasons as you said but also for the I loe this person so I have to buy the a bunch of stuff. It's a made up holiday that is not really needed but you deal with it and move on.

I think you ave a great head on your shoulders and enjoy the concert tonight and really you have all your friends for Valentines day. That's what really means the most.

Lulu said...

I agree, it isnt that great of a holiday for people who are in relationships either. It is completely contrived and I am not an overly sentimental gal so it really isnt of great importance. It is good to be self reflective though so thats what I am going to do. I am also eating chinese food on my couch in my pjs while watching the Golden Girls and I am going to love every minute of it!

Adam said...

And then you're gonna go see a Rademacher show, yeah?

Lulu said...

I am seriously thinking about it...once I get settled in it is hard to motivate me to get back out but this never have seen Rademacher is getting regoddamndiculous...It would probably do me good to get a change of scenery too. I am going to go with 90% yes right now:)

edluv said...

and, if it holds up like their myspace bulletin read, they'll go on around 10, w/o opening acts. so, unlike a post art hop show, you don't have to be out until 1 to see their whole set.