Tuesday, January 22

What Would Be Nice

What would be nice is if people would be more aware of how the way they do their jobs can effect me and my job. Whats that? You would like to hear some examples? Ok here you go:

-I often have to go get sets of plans for projects that we may bid. Last week I went to the City of Fresno Purchasing Department which is in a weird area of town where Divisedero ends and parking is very limited. So I go and give them a refundable check and head back to the office. When I get there my dad asks where the other set is because apparently I was supposed to pick up (2) sets but no one told me that. Now I have to go back to pick them up only to find out that they ran out after telling me that they would an extra set. So now I have to go back again to pick them up when this all could have been avoided had someone told me that this time they needed (2) sets in the first place. When I asked why no one told me, they laughed about it. Thanks.

-I am responsible for all correspondence and record keeping for all of the projects, so throughout the day I am getting work to do from my project managers. One of them has this really annoying habit to accumulate the work and give it to me all at once. So instead of giving me the RFI when he is done with it so I can get it out while he works on something else, he walks into my office with a stack of 15 things at once, all of which are a high priority. Inevitably this is at the end of the day and typically I will have been working on things that aren't very important until that point when I could have been working on any one of those items he had sitting on his desk that had been ready to go for (4) hours. And yes I have addressed this with him but he keeps "forgetting".

- Another one of my jobs is to get copies of plans made when we need them. Last week I took in a construction schedule to get copied and that was to be given to all of the subs and owners and other project affiliates. I was told to get 30 so I did and we were short 10. Now this isn't a huge deal but you know exactly who is getting them, why can't you be accurate in how many you need. Now I have to stop my work and leave the office and get more copies and I have been slammed with work lately so I don't really have the time.

In summary, think about how your work can effect your co-workers and don't make their lives more difficult because you aren't taking the time to do things the way you should and I vow to do the same.

7 comments:

Adam said...

Suckitude! I'm glad to see you posting negatively about work again. Those are the best for commiserating.

Lulu said...

I know, I thought about that, but venting is good for the soul, especially when others can relate.

edluv said...

you need an assistant. how much are you willing to pay?

Lulu said...

Sometimes I think that I do but sadly I have no money to pay for such a lavish expense, *sigh*.

edluv said...

dude, i'm not asking you to actually pay me. get daddy-o on it. i'll type his emails when your mom isn't around. but i'll be primarily your byatch... errrrr... secretary... errrrrrr.... i mean personal assistant.

Adam said...

Don't trust him, he'd just look at blogs all day.

edluv said...

but i would also keep her up to date on any blog updates. so that's a bonus.