Wednesday, January 23

That Burger Has How Many Calories??

I just read this article about NYC city officials reviving a plan to force chains to post calorie counts for their foods right on the menu. Although it targets major fast food restaurants, if it is passed it could eventually become a standard for all restaurants. The obvious reason to put the calorie content of the food clearly displayed on a menu is to help curb obesity by making consumers more aware of the amount of calories they are getting. In addition city officials hope that it will motivate restaurants to make healthier food items for their menus.

Now it seems that all fast food restaurants have the calorie count of their menu items online and available in the store as well, so they accessible to anyone who wants to know. The people who take the time to look this up are more than likely physically fit and health savvy or are trying to diet and lose weight. I am willing to bet that most of the individuals who are obese or overweight are probably not taking a close look at this information because they don't want to know, they don't care or it just isn't something they think about doing. These people are the target for displaying calorie counts of food. These are also the people who are probably experiencing more health problems related to their weight and adding to the obesity epidemic in the US.

I think this may be a motivating factor for some people who are overweight to make better, more informed choices about what they are eating. If you really take the time to process that a the vanilla shake you are getting has 1,110 calories or the Deluxe Breakfast you are about to order has 1,070 calories or the large fries you get when you supersize has 570 calories, there is a chance you might change your mind. (As a little side note a Super Big Gulp has 800 calories, for a freaking drink!) Obviously some people are not going to care but I know if I was craving a shake and saw that 1,110 calories next to it on the menu, I would say no way no how am I going to get that item (that's over half of my daily caloric intake, and it isn't even a meal!)

This no doubt will annoy and anger some people who do not want to be confronted with this information when they go to eat. I can understand this, but I also think it could be motivating to those people who do really want to lose weight and are struggling to do so. Many people are simply ignorant to the caloric count of most food items, understandably. It is hard to estimate what you are consuming when you aren't seeing the preparation to know what ingredients are going into your meal. I looked up the nutritional value of menu items at McDonald's (which I referenced above) and was surprised at the enormous amount of calories in some of the salad dressings, which most people feel are reasonably healthy and good for them, and I am probably more aware than the majority of people. In addition I was surprised at the low calorie count for some items (a hamburger is only 250 calories). Fast Food restaurants have begun adding healthier items to their menus which is great, but more would be better.

Ignorance may be bliss but it may also be giving you that gut in your belly. Knowing the caloric information of the food you eat (without having to search for it, lets be honest we are lazy) can at the very least help you make an informed decision of what you are putting in your body. And if you really don't want to know then don't look at it. I think this is a good idea and I hope that it gets passed and it becomes nationwide.

9 comments:

Adam said...

I can understand this, but I also think it could be motivating to those people who do really want to lose weight and are struggling to do so.

See, and I would think that if someone desired to have a healthier diet or lose weight, they wouldn't be frequenting these establishments often enough to throw blame at them for their inability to lose weight.

Honestly, I'd be willing to bet that a straw poll of anyone on the street about how healthy they thought fast food was would reveal that people know it's not good for you, but it's convenient and cheap.

I think it would be a better use of tax-payer money to build better educational programs for the consumers rather than shoe-stringing the companies making the stuff. Maybe they are, I don't know, but it's gotta be a combination of stuff. People have to know what their average daily caloric intake is before they can look up at a menu and go, "Jesus Christ, that taco salad is my breakfast and lunch and afternoon snack all in one!"

Anonymous said...

I agree that it can be motivating for people who are on a diet. The thing is eating is a habit, and where you eat is a habit. So if your habit is when you are tired and you have no motivation to fix something for yourself you stop at the local Mickey D's you can make a better decision.

Adam you are right in that not many people know what their daily intake should be or even what a calorie is. It is a needed curriculum to teach but as with all the needs of curriculum educators have a hard time in squeezing that in. So we are left with modeling. Now there's a whole other issue. If you ar constantly being modeled that you can eat whatever you want guess what you'll pick up those habits too.

It goes on and on, but I think it is a good start. Awareness is usually a pretty good thing when it comes to your health.

Lulu said...

I wouldnt say it was shoestringing to add a number next to the menu item (one that they have already calculated anyway). Fast food companies arent going to want to do it because it makes their products look less desirable. I would also think it would be considerably less expensive to put the calorie count on the menu rather than attempt to educate people on what a calorie is. Some people won't know how to estimate that, I agree, but other people do and it can be helpful to them.


And yes I would hope that the vast majority of people do know fast food is bad for you but they may not really exactly know how bad. If I am trying to decide what I want to eat and I am hungry and weak so I go for what I know I like, the double cheesburger I may glance at the menu and see the calorie count and it would probably wake me up out of my hunger daze and remind me thats not a healthy choice for me, but the chicken salad with the vinagrette dressing is a much smarter choice.

I agree with Becky that improving your health starts at awareness and this can help people become more aware.

Lulu said...

Also (I accidently published this before I was finished, oops) in regard to your comment Adam about people who desire a healthier diet or to lose weight, probably wouldn't be frequenting fast food establishments, I somewhat agree but I think what makes this idea dualistic is that it could possibly motivate these establishments to create a healtheir menu for people.
When I am tired and don't feel like cooking I will stop to get fast food sometimes because there are usually at least one or two items that are reasonably healthy that I can chose from. You should have the option of eating fast, cheap healthy food too.

edluv said...

i think this could be the slap in the face that many people would need to make better decisions about fast food. it's one thing to know that it's not the healthiest of foods, it's another to be directly confronted with how bad that particular item is. or knowing that your heart attack mega breakfast sandwich has more calories than you need in a day may cause you to pause and think.

as for the restaurants already having them posted, let me refer back to supersize me. they went looking for them and had quite a difficult time. most places have them tucked away, if they're even displayed. now, they may be easier to find online, i don't know.

Lulu said...

I havent seen Supersize Me, but I have looked before for the fact sheets and usually I see them on the wall next to the bathrooms, so I agree they are not easy to find.

And online I think you can look them up pretty quickly but that doesn't help you when you are at the restaraunt and are trying to make a decision unless you carry around a book with all of the info for all the restarants you may possibly go to.

edluv said...

i can loan you supersize me if you like.

Adam said...

I still don't think it's going to change much, if anything.

It looks a lot more like a politician doing something that looks strong but doesn't really have any teeth.

We shall see.

Anonymous said...

Kasey, You really should watch supersize me. I found it to be very interesting.