Tuesday, December 18

Mondays Outcome, Pandoras Box?

As I strived to abide by my astrology guide for Monday I was looking for something to do to get me outside of my comfort zone. I decided I would test the waters by being more social at the gym and striking up a conversation with someone there.

I know I have talked about this before but to just give everyone the background on what my gym is like, the average age of the people that go there is approximately 40 and probably 80% female. When I am there I have my ipod on the entire time and keep to myself. Most everyone else who comes in will chat with another gym member at some point and most of them seem to be on a first name basis. I am there to workout and not to socialize, plus I really don't have much in common with any of them. I realize that this probably makes me seem unfriendly and overly serious to other gym members and since my mom goes there too she can back up that perception (thanks mom). SO I should probably be more friendly and I decided to give it a shot.

There were only 4 people there when I arrived, two were working with trainers so they were out because I didn't want to interrupt and the other two were doing cardio. I decided to say something to a lady that I hadn't seen in awhile since I could ask where she had been the past few weeks. I was uncomfortable to ask though because who knows, a family member could have been really ill or some tragedy could have occurred and that's why she hasn't been around. I couldn't think of anything else to say though so I went with it. Turns out she had shoulder surgery and it was her first day back in 6 weeks.

Everything was going fine until I realized that this was the same lady that weeks ago talked my ear off about her damn cat even though I had my headphones on and I was working out at the time. Shit, I started a conversation with the inappropriate talker who cant take a hint. So I stood there and listened to how her shoulder was feeling and how when it rains her arthritis acts up and she aches all over so it is hard to get to the gym yada yada yada. About 5-7 minutes into it there was a brief pause and I quickly said, "well have a good workout" and walked away.

I fear that I have given her the green light to chat me up every time she sees me which could be a problem. I hate small talk, I am bad at it and I may now have to be more engaged in it at the place I love to go most, the gym (I know how lame it is that I love the gym so much but I really do). Although I felt good that I was friendly and may now perceived as being less cold and aloof to at least her, I certainly hope that chatting with her is not a daily experience. Say hello sure but if I have to hear more about her cat or her aching bones and it takes away from my workout, I am not going to be happy.

Day 1 Overall Outcome: Positive in the moment, but perceivably problematic in the future.

3 comments:

Adam said...

So selfish. =P I should introduce you to my neighbor Ann.

Lulu said...

Oh yeah, I am not a big talker and although I will act interested when someone is talking to me even when I am not, I will generally avoid being in that situation in the first place. This is one of my major personality flaws.
I will be sure to avoid Ann in the future as well.

edluv said...

cue nelson, "ha ha!"