Wednesday, August 15

Rant

I have been very frustrated with my Dad at work lately. He has this pattern of giving me these projects in which I am told I have full control, he doesn't give me guidelines just a general description and basically says to run with it. Then, later down the road he won't like something that I have done and tells me to change what I have done to what he wants.

For example, I was told that I needed to get our website up and running and create a new logo. He gave me a business card of a company that does both logo design and website design and told me that they were reccomended by another company we do business with. So, I call them up, tell them what we want and get pricing for everything.

My dad looks over the pricing and signs the contract. The first step then is to design the logo. I am told we get three logo concepts and three revisions - all of this my dad is aware of - so I tell them we want something construction related that is similar to another logo from Fresno Builders Exchange. They send three possible logos over and I take them to the staff meeting for feedback and to see what everyone thinks. We decide that we like one in particular and change some fonts and the placement of the graphic. They send back a revised version and my dad says he wants to see it in three different colors. So I send that info back and they send me the updated logo. That would be the third revision, therefore any more design changes would cost more money.

Well this is when my dad decides that he doesn't really like the logo and has looked online at other logo creation companies and randomly finds one that does packages for logo creation. Then he tells me he was unhappy with the logos they came up with and that he thought they weren't very good. This is his fault for first of all not telling exactly what he wanted in his logo when he obviously has something in mind, second not saying anything about not liking them on the 1st draft instead of waiting for the 3rd when at this point it will start costing more.

Then he asks me to research the cost of both and I tell him that it will 2-6 hours more work at 96/hr for the company we have been working with thus far (we will have to pay $192 regardless for the work they have already done)and it will be $200 minimum to go with this online company and start over. So I was apparantly defending the company we have been working with because I was explaining that we didn't tell them what we wanted so it isn't their fault they didn't get it right, particularly when we had them revise one logo concept twice when it wasn't even what he wanted!

So now he knows what he wants and wants to go with the other online company. But the icing on the cake is when he tells me that I can do what I want and the decision is up to me. Uh no actually it isnt because you just told me what you wanted to do (and yes I told him this) - he didn't respond. He either needs to actually let me run with it or tell me what he wants but this false independence is just depleting my motivation since I know he isn't going to like whatever I do anyway.

4 comments:

Adam said...

That sucks. What a bummer. I've gotten to the point with my job where my supervisor doesn't even really get to give input anymore. I've made it clear that I don't agree with his methods and will do what I think is best, which usually turns out just fine.

Also, you should put more line returns in your posts. Massive paragraphs in pale green on white are tough.

Lulu said...

Well it is a rant afterall so it should run on, however you make a valid point, I do not want you to hurt your eyes so made some ammends:)

Adam said...

Well thank you. I just thought I'd let you know is all.

edluv said...

at least he isn't sending you to a party where you zap other people with necklaces.