Monday, April 9

holidays

Holidays in my family have become dull, lackluster, and obligatory. Mostly this is because my sister and I are both adults with no children of our own and holidays are usually geared towards kids. My immediate family has never done much with our extented family and have usually done our own thing on holidays. Sometimes I am a little jealous of the families that all get together and have big dinners and holiday celebrations, but for the most part just hanging out with my sister and parents has been fine with me, until recently. With my sister engaged and living in Austin she hasn't been in town for a holiday in quite sometime which just leaves my parents and I. Now I see my parents on a daily basis, for 8 hours a day and I look forward to the weekends where I have a break from them for 48 hours (I would imagine similar sentiments from my parents about me as well). So yesterday I went over to my parents house and the day consisted of me sitting on the couch with my mom and dad while my dad flipped back and forth from golf, baseball, and something ridiculous on the sci fi channel while he plays video yatzee, my mom reading the paper and I myself flipping through home and garden magazines. Then we ate dinner and I went home. This is what we do on holidays now and frankly I would rather stay home, but that would not go over well at all. My sister better start popping the babies out soon, it is up to her to save the holidays for the Wilsons.

Training:
Saturday - Ran for 1:30 at Woodward. Beautiful weather, great hills. Legs felt pretty good. Need to start increasing my mileage on the weekends.
Sunday - Long walk in the morning, pilates, long walk in the pm. This is my off training day so nothing strenous.

4 comments:

Adam said...

You know, there are activities where three people can engage each other while doing the same thing, like playing cards or lawn bowling or tournament style indian leg wrestling.

Lulu said...

You know I will try to get them to play gin with me and sometimes they will but other times they don't feel like it. Now tournament style indian leg wrestling is an interesting idea and a hilarious visual actually.
Maybe I should make my own personal drinking game out of it. Everytime my mom says "There is nothing in the ads this week" - 1 drink; "What time does everyone want to eat dinner" - 1 drink; "Wilson!" (what she calls my dad when he is in trouble) - 2 drinks. Everytime my dad fails to respond to something my mom or I said - 1 drink; Everytime my dad makes a mess that he leaves for my mom to clean up - 2 drinks (one for my mom); and if my dad ever finishes watching a program all the way through I will finish my drink (that will never happen).
In any case might make the day a little more entertaining!

Adam said...

Yeah, but after all that drinking you may have to spend the night at the parents' place. =P

Lulu said...

Oooh good point. Bad idea then, bad. My mom wouldn't even let me drive home with an unopened bottle of wine in my truck with me. Looks like Indian leg wrestling it is.