Monday, March 26

Life lately

So it seems that lately I have had a lot of friends and family members have been taking leaps into adulthood. My sister and one of my best friends will soon be getting married, another good friend recently got engaged, my friend Annie just today found out she is pregnant, Kendall is going to be buying a house and everyone is getting a puppy. To me purchasing real estate, getting married and espcially having children is what older people and real adults do and it is weird that everyone around me is starting to get to that point in their lives.

I on the otherhand feel like I am moving in the opposite direction. I have always been a bit of a late bloomer in certain aspects of my life. In high school I focused on sports so I didn't do much socially, never even kissed a guy until after high school. In college I had a couple of very close friends that I spent most of my time with but I was never went out much or did the whole college party scene thing. So I am not sure if I am making up for lost time now, but I know I have been having a lot of fun lately that perhaps most 26 year olds have already gotten out of their systems (at least among many of my friends). Sometimes I think maybe I should be more mature and not stay up all hours of the night drinking and playing asshole, but then I think there is plenty of time to be adult and right now I need to just relax about it and have a good time.

It still nags at me though when a lot of my friends are moving on to the more adult stage in their lives because even though I love them, we have less in common than we once did. I don't have that strong desire to be married and have children yet though, the thought of that still freaks me out. Maybe like a lot of things in my life, that will come to me later than most people and I am content to take the slower road in life.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Just don't live by comparison. If you're happy and doing what you want, it doesn't matter where everyone else is at in their lives.

You know plenty of people who don't want kids (some at all, some at this point in their lives). Just stick with us non-baby makers.

And puppies are overrated. =P

edluv said...

see, i do adult things like: not drink through a straw on a cup without a lid.

that leaves me with plenty of time to do non-adult things.

Lulu said...

Yeah I will stick with the non breeders, they are a lot more fun and don't take offense when you make fun of babies and small children.

Ed, it looks like I wil never be a real adult because I like me my straws, lid or not. I have moved on from the sippy cup though, thats progress.