Thursday, December 17

Spaghetti Squash Recipe

Mike and I have Spaghetti Squash about once a week. We love it and have tried it numerous ways but we had the best yet last night.

I was trying to figure out a new way to make it instead of just using the ground turkey and sauce that we had on hand so I decided to pick up some mushrooms and spinach and toss it all with some olive oil and garlic with the cooked squash. When I got home I remembered I had turkey bacon so I decided to toss that in as well and I threw everything together and it was so good, we are making it again tonight.

Here is the recipe (makes enough for two):

1 spaghetti squash
Olive Oil (twice around the pan)
1-2 cloves garlic minced
1-2 cups spinach, chopped
1 portabello mushroom
2 slices turkey bacon
1/2 package ground turkey

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half (so they look like two boobs), scrape out the seeds and place on cookie sheet in the oven for approximately 40-45 minutes. You will know when it is done when you push on the skin with your finger and it easily gives.

Add olive oil and garlic to a medium hot pan. Add bacon, saute a few minutes. Add mushrooms, saute a few minutes more. Add spinach and continue to saute until the spinach starts to get wilty and loses crispness. At the same time brown ground turkey until it is thoroughly cooked but not brown.

Remove spaghetti squash from oven. Let cool a few minutes. Scrape out the insides of 1/2 of squash, add to saucepan. Add cooked ground turkey to saucepan. Mix it all together and heat for a few monutes.

Top with parmesan cheese.

It was fantastic and much lighter than using real spaghetti or noodles. You could also be creative and use tomatoes, arugula, asparagus, peppers, broccoli etc. The turkey bacon flavor really infused throughout the entire dish. You also don't really need the ground turkey but it did make the meal a little more hearty and gives it more protien, which I needed. It is a very flexible dish and super delicious.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Adam said...

Heh, this is what it would take to get me to run. :-P

Lulu said...

Yeah, I think that might bring out the Usain Bolt in you;)