Wednesday, November 11

Ugh

This has kinda been a bad week for food. Monday Mike picked up a chocolate milk at a convenience store to drink after our workout (chocolate milk is better recovery drink than gatorade FYI and it tastes sooo much better too)and when I opened it I thought it smelled a little sour. I took a drink though and although it didn't taste horrendous, it tasted a bit off. I asked Mike what he thought and he just sort of shrugged and thought it was fine. So I took another drink and it definitely tatsed weird to me so I searched for an expiration date. It has expired 5 days ago. Mike took it back and the guy at the register said "old is gold". Nice try.

That night we had couscous for dinner and it was delicious. As we were cleaning up the kitchen something in the couscous box caught my eye. It was a bug shell. The couscous didn't come in anything but the box (no plastic bag in the box or anything) so I can't say I was that suprised with such easy access that a bug might find its way in there. I shook the box a little and saw two LIVE bugs crawling around. I threw the box away and told myself that we just had a little extra protein for the day.

And just today I drank an Antioxidant Daily Shot that I got in my particpant bag from the Trail of Two Cities (yeah I still got the bag even though I didn't run it. I paid for that stuff!)which is basically natural fruit juice to get a boost of antioxidants and although it tasted fine, the best by date was 29/09/2009:

(Note: that picture makes it look HUGE but is only about 5 inches tall and 3.38 fl. oz)
So far my stomach seems fine but good grief, I need to start checking my food before I eat it!

12 comments:

edluv said...

that's pretty odd that they would give out the antioxidant thing on 11/8 since it expired on 9/29. maybe that's how they got them so cheap.

Lulu said...

Yeah, thats my guess too. Someone probably didnt check, assuming they would be good. They actually had a lot of products in the bag than I am not used to getting which was nice, but maybe check expiration dates next time.

Carrie said...

The same thing happened to me when I did a 5K last spring. More than one of the coupons and giveaways in the goodie bag were expired. I realize they need people to donate for their event, but there is no worth in an expired product. So lame.

Adam said...

I think I see an indictment of the running community here. Hmmmm....time to eat a burrito from Taco Bell followed by sitting on my ass.

:-P

Lulu said...

ok seriously, at lunch I went to eat one of my Activia yogurts (btw this is the best tasting yogurt I have found out there, it is delicous and I guess helps regulate digestion, but really it just tastes good) and it was expired! It was 2 weeks ago too. This is all my fault for not paying attention but for the love.

Lulu said...

And in regard to your taco bell Mr. Wall, you do not want to get me started on the shit (and I mean that literally) that goes into meat - specifically ground beef - at fast food resturants. I finally finished Fast Food Nation and ick. That along with the working conditions at slaughterhouses has made fast food even less appealing. To be fair though, I will still eat ground beef from the store and also shop at Walmart so I am not exactly consistent when it comes to these things. Oh but In n out is good!

Adam said...

I ain't dead yet.

Lulu said...

Not yet but someday I am sure;)

Adam said...

I'll aspire to be one of those old farts that pisses off health conscious people. I'll be like 98 years old, smokin' two packs a day, eating SPAM out of the can, and drinking beer like water.

Carrie said...

No you won't.

Lulu said...

Yeah, if you also want to be alone and miserable then that is a good idea:)

Adam said...

Well, I'll be alone and miserable because all my healthy friends and loved ones clocked out early.