Wednesday, September 16

The Biggest Loser


I watched The Biggest Loser last night for the first time and I have mixed feelings about the show. I really didn't know anything about how the show was structured before watching it and was under the impression that they are in teams that compete against each other to lose the most amount of weight. For the most part that is true but what I didn't know was how much of a game it was and that a contestant gets voted off each show and that is what I had a problem with. I understand that ratings is something that all tv shows most contend with and making it more of a game will make it more dramatic hence make it more fun for people to watch, but a show where very obese people are basically fighting for their lives makes me uncomfortable with that mentality.

For people who are in such an unhealthy state, and we are talking over 50% body fat for some of them, they really need help and to send one of them home after 1 week seems a bit cruel. I can see how this might be a motivating factor for some people to work harder so they don't get kicked off but when you are that overweight motivation is obviously something you lack and it is hard to just turn that switch in your mind so quickly. Spending more time in an enviornment that will foster discipline and teach the contestants how to exercise, how to each and how to work hard will be a great benefit instead of sending them hom to fend for themselves. There is however a caveat that if at the end of the season they come back and have lost the most weight they get a sizeable amount of money so that is what is supposed to help keep them motivated. I like that they do this but I still think they could still do this show with competition without kicking anyone off.

Also the way they kick someone off is a bit strange. The teams consist of two people and if their combined amount of weight lost is the least amount, then one of them goes home as is voted by the other contestants. So the two contestants give a speech about why they should stay and they vote. The way they voted (last night at least) however was by sending the person home who seemed to be the most motivated because they had a better chance of going home and continuing to lose weight. Uhh ok so the person who wants to be there the most and is working their ass off is sent packing so the less motivated person who is may not be working as hard gets to stay?

I have a lot of respect for the contestants though because they work their asses off and it cannot be easy for them to engage in such a high degree of intense exercise at their weight. If you put someone who is in great shape in a 200 pound body suit and ask them to do their normal workout they are going to have a hard time and basically thats what they are doing. I also loooove the trainers, especially Jillian Anderson, she is such a potty mouthed bitch, it is fanfuckintastic. I have one of her books and she seems a lot nicer in it then she is on tv! She gets in their faces and drops the F-bomb every other word. They are both really intense. I love that the trainers don't pity them or baby them but can actually be pretty mean. The contestants need someone to tell them like it is and give them a wake up call.

I will definitely keep watching the show. I find it utterly fascinating that a person can lose 19 pounds in one week! It is inspiring to see them start seeing themselves differently and believing in what they can do.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

I hate that they kick off people in the first week too. It's the absolutel worst aspect of it, first only to the exploitation of overweight people. But I enjoy it for the hope it brings people, and for the miracle of self-rediscovery that the contestants inevitably experience. Knowing what it's like to yo-yo, it's hard to change your self-perception even after the physical transformation. I hope the best for all those people, and think they are very brave to go on TV for that, and very lucky for the opportunity.

But I am a total Bob fan. I hate people yelling at me to the extent Jillian does it. I totally shut down.

Lulu said...

Oh an I feel bad that they have to go on national tv in spandex and sports bras and shirtless for the men. We all know they are fat, they don't need to exploit that and zoom in on it for christ sake! If you are 10 pounds overweight you probably arent comfortable doing that, that sucks!

Monticore said...

I'm sure everyone will say I'm a total biatch but, you're review of the Biggest Loser is a little late. I mean this is like their 8th season.

Lulu said...

Yes I realize that, which is why I stated that I have never watched the show before...I might be a little late but I dont see why I cant have an opinion on it.

Adam said...

You just can't. :-P It's against the rules.

The second rule of opinion club is that you can't talk about opinion club.

Lulu said...

Well darn it, no one told me! Am I out of the club now? Shit.

Adam said...

Consider this a warning.