Monday, July 20

Overtraining

This probably won't be too suprising for anyone (including myself) but I am pretty sure I have been overtraining lately. Normally I do a split routine, which isolates particular areas of the body for a 4 day cycle so for example I might start with legs, then go biceps/triceps, then shoulders/traps and then chest, and on the 5th day start over with legs. Well I stepped it up last month and tried a program that was supposed to sort of shock your body. The workout was split up into two groups: legs/biceps/triceps and chest/shoulders/traps. Since you alternate days the recovery time is not as great as it used to be, which is harder on the body. This workout is only designed for a month long period because of how hard it is on the body, which I can atest to.

Unfortunately the symptoms of overtraining can be very similar to thr symptoms of PMS, so I didn't notice it right away. Some of the psychological symtpoms of overtraining include the followng:
-Depression and apathy
-Decreased self-esteem
-Decreased ability to concentrate
-Decreased self-efficacy
-Sensitive to stress
I think I really knew it was overtraining when I started crying last week and giving myself a pity party for no substantial reason. I seldom cry so this was very out of the ordinary for me. I was also fatigued throughout the day but having trouble sleeping at night and my immune system, whch normally kicks ass, was not doing its job and I was experiencing gastrointestinal issues and I was having problems getting over a head cold.

So I need to rest. Not for a long time, just take a few days off, which I started Thursday and I will also be re-tooling my workout, which I do every month anyway, to give myself a little more recovery time. I will also be even more strict on eating well and not eating empty calories or processed food, I need all the protein and nutrition I can get. I also got a massage this weekend that was super relaxing. I might have to do that more frequently.

It isn't fun to feel your body wearing down but I would rather deal with it now than have more severe problems down the road.

4 comments:

Adam said...

I knew you exercised too much.

;-)

Madison said...

Sorry you're feeling under the weather from working out so hard. Wish I had some of your determination! I saw you posted a link for some treadmill intervals, but it actually linked to a really cool white chair. Do you happen to have that link still? I'm going to start my intervals tonight.

Monticore said...

So that's what happened to you this weekend. I missed you. I wish I had known so I could of helped cheer you up.

Lulu said...

Did you go to the gym yesterday? The AC in the weight room was broken and it was literally 90+ degrees in there, I was dripping sweat and I was supposed to be taking it easy! Eh, I took 4 days off and I wont go to the gym this weekend so I am good, I feel much better now. Besides I had this GREAT booty routine that I had to try:)