Thursday, July 30

Here I go again!

Yesterday I signed up for the Trail of Two Cities Half Marathon. I just plain do not want to train for a full marathon this year but I really want to be a part of it so I am just going to do the half. Official training for me starts on September 14th and it is only 9 weeks of training and no more than 40 miles a week so thats super manageable and won't effect my weight training very much. The half marathon is just a much nicer race, but I know I am going to be super jealous of all of the marathoners on race day.

My goal is to run it around 1 hour 40 minutes. Hopefully my foot holds up!

If anyone has a desire to run a half, I can be your training partner and tell you everything you need to know:)

UPDATE: Uh just kidding, I am going to be in Austin that weekend for my sisters baby shower. There is 50 bucks I won't be getting back. If anyone wants to run under my registration, let me know.
UPDATE #2: Screw it. I get home at 2:40pm on race day and even though the race will be long over I am still going to run the course. I paid for it, I will have the tshirt and I will run my own race, without the cheering crown and ice cream sundaes. I will just stop by Coldstone on the way home.

10 comments:

m.wise said...

i'm sure a friend or two will still cheer you on...and maybe have ice cream ready for you at the end. what is your favorite flavor?

edluv said...

maybe I'll ride my bike next to you and yell inspirational things rocky style.

m.wise said...

that would be cool. i think that's what her mom does during her training.

Lulu said...

Without a doubt my favorite ice cream is peanut butter and chocolate. Also my mom does ride next to me but she does not yell inspirational things rocky style. Mostly she complains about work.

Monticore said...

I know this sounds crazy but I was thinking of trying the 1/2 marathon. I need something to press me towards my fitness goal. I can run a little bit and walk alot of the way but still it looked like fun last year. I'm not sure I could keep up with you training regiment.

Lulu said...

You can totally do it and it doesnt sound crazy at all. If you are properly conditioned and build your mileage up gradually, you can finish. You should start running now though.
If you are serious and decide you want to do this I can give you a training program. Some people do walk the entire thing too. 13.1 miles is a long distance whether you are walking or running. We may do it at different speeds but at the end of the day you have accomplished the same distance as the person who finishes first and will have actually worked out longer than that person:)

Unknown said...

Hi Lulu

I'll tell you what. If you run the 13.1 even after the course is closed, I'll give you our 2009 Medallion. Just write me after you finish (TwoCitiesMarathon@Yahoo.com), swear you did it with your time, and I'll send you the medallion for "just doing it!".

Mike Herman
Director
Two Cities Marathon

Lulu said...

Wow thats awesome, thanks Mike I definitely will!

m.wise said...

that's very nice of them. i think that it's that type of interaction with the runners and other participants that will help this event to be successful year after year. it's nice to see generosity shown.

Lulu said...

I agree Mike. Runners in general are usually pretty nice, positive people. I am really happy that this community has been able to get a race up and running so successfully, it really has a positive impacet on the community on micro (like getting a finishers metal even though I wasn't able to run the race the same time as everyone) and macro levels (fundraising and the boost to the economy). And on a personal note I can still make this an annual thing for me somewhat more officialy!