Tuesday, June 23

The Turkey Burger That Wasn't

I am new to the grill, but I looove it. I have cooked on it about 4 times so far and all has gone well. I am still working on mastering a good veggie marinade, olive oil and garlic are good but I think I can do better. I have also successfully grilled chicken that was very tasty so I decided that last night I would tackle a turkey burger.

I went to Whole Foods and bought pre-made turkey burger patties and got an aray of fixin's and good cheese and was ready to get my grill on. All was going well but I am still unsure about cooking time for various meats, I just don't have the experience to know yet. The turkey burger was looking good though and I couldn't wait to eat it so I cut it open a little and I didnt see any pink so I was good to go.

I built up this awesome burger with arugula, spicy mustard, balsamic vinegar, tomato, red onion and avacado. I cut it down the middle and realized that it was not fully cooked, the middle was still pink. I had already turned the grill off plus the other patties I had were frozen anyway. And to add insult to injury I burned my arm turning the propane tank off. Fuuuuuck.

I sadly threw the burger away and made a new one without meat, basically a fancy cheese sandwich. Tonight, I will try it again. You will not defeat me turkey burger, your ass is mine.

5 comments:

edluv said...

turkey burgers are delish. actually, i'm a fan of pretty much turkey anything. although turkey dogs are sort of weak.

Lulu said...

I like turkey dogs. I can't remember the last time I had a real hot dog or a turkey dog though but if I had the choice I would go with turkey. I slather it in mustard and ketchup anyway.

Monticore said...

I would recommend investing in some small meat thermometers. They make small ones that are for individual burgers or steaks. They are a real time saver and take the guess work out of the question "will this make me sick?"

Adam said...

Or take a knife to the middle of the burger to see what it looks like.

That's a bummer that you had to toss that though. :-(

Lulu said...

Well yesterdays turned out alittle better, I cooked it thoroughly but it wasnt as flavorful as I expected. I did use a knife to see if ti was ready but butchered the urger in the process. I hadnt thought of a meat thermometer though, I will have to get one of those!