Tuesday, May 19

Once again a favorite movie of mine from childhood just doesn't deliver when I am an adult. This time it is the Disney movie "The Fox and The Hound". It came out when I was 1, and I distinctly remember watching it when I was a child and thinking it was super great. What wasn't to love? There was a baby fox (Todd) and a baby hound (Cooper) who against all odds become best friends, forever.

They went their separate ways for awhile, Cooper learns to hunt and Todd moves to the forest and gets a girlfriend and then their naturally adversarial relationship rears its ugly head. Coopers master starts hunting Todd and his foxy lady friend, sets really nasty traps, smokes them out of their home and starts chasing them through the forest with Cooper tracking them. The turning point was when a bear shows up and starts fighting Cooper and even though this would be the perfect opportunity for Cooper to escape, he goes back to help out his friend, awww. Then later on when they have Cooper cornered and with shot gun drawn, Cooper returns the favor and stands in front of Todd so his master won't shoot him, double awww.

The moral of the story, you shouldn't try to kill your best friend err friendship conquers all err hunting animals is bad? They leave it open so you can apply your own moral.

After talking about this movie Saturday night with Mike, I found it on On Demand the next day so I had it on while I packed and was soon quite bored. The cute part is in the beginning when they are little tykes because their voices are just so damn adorable. Don't believe me? Watch this:


It may not have lived up to my childhood expectations but the nostalgia was nice.

2 comments:

Monticore said...

I agree. I was a little older but still love the movie mainly for how cute they were when they were little. I still cry when I watch it.

Anonymous said...

Also Disney used those cute voices in Robin Hood too. My favorite part is when Robin Hood visits the little rabbits house(I think you will hear some familiar voices)
-Monti