Wednesday, February 11

The New and Not so Exciting Me

For awhile now I have obviously been very into fitness. When I think about the highlight of my day it is going to the gym and getting a hard work out in. I love that way it makes me feel both physically and mentally, it just takes me to a happy place. This is not news to any of you who read my blog however as I frequently post about this topic.

For awhile now I have also been thinking of getting my certification as a personal trainer. I even ordered the study materials and read several chapters but somewhere along the way I got distracted and didn't set aside enough time to really study the way I needed to. Then the economy took a nose dive and I got it into my head that it would be difficult to find work as a PT because people would cut out going to the gym and training as an unneccesary expense. So I kept reading various magazines and studies to further my own personal knowledge about the subject but stopped officially studying. In the back of my mind though I kept thinking that training could be something I can do that I would be passionate about.

The last couple of weeks I have had several people at the gym approach me for advice or to ask me about a particular exercise I was doing which has suprised and really flattered me. It makes me feel like I must at least appear knowledgable and since I have also felt I have made strength gains over the past few months, I guess I must know what I am doing for the most part. It has re-motivated me to start studying again and to get my certification, especially when I read that the job outlook for personal trainers is very high with a proposed 50% growth rate in the next decade thanks to the growing obesity epedemic as well as aging baby boomers wanting to stave off aging.

I hate sitting at a desk all day, I do not mind early mornings, I like variety in my work day, I have always enjoyed teaching and coaching, and I love fitness so this may be something I can do that will make me really happy. I may never be a trainer full time but I can try to do it part time for some extra income and see what happens. So in a few months if you want to hire me to get your butt in shape, let me know, I will give you a really good deal and it will help me gain some experience.

In relation to that, I am also going to need to make some changes in other parts of my life, mainly the going out part. I know I haven't been around as much lately anyway, but one thing I probably wont do any much more of is Wednesday nights. I have realized lately how much I need that 8 hours of sleep every night and even just one day a week of a lack of sleep effects me negatively. I will still go out weekends, but it will be a more mellow version of Kasey which means less cocktails and calling it a night a little earlier. All of this so I can be more productive during the day and get more accomplished, like studying and getting good productive workouts in etc. It just helps me to have a healthy lifestyle that is consistent with the lifestyles I would promote with any future clients I may have so I dont feel like a hypocrite.

So anyway thats where my head has been lately.

6 comments:

Madison said...

Go for it! I get inspired just from reading your fitness entries, so I think you would be excellent at a trainer. You have a way with words and I bet you would really motivate a lot of people. I'd hire you if I lived in Cali!

edluv said...

so, how exactly does one become a personal trainer?

Lulu said...

You get certified through one of several organizations that provide certification and then apply for a job or start your own business depending on what you want to do. And you get certified by taking an exam that covers the mechanics of the human body, anatomy, exercise science, how to interact with your client etc.

Kris10 said...

I agree with Madison completely, you would be a kick ass personal trainer...maybe you could come to Austin and do a one day boot camp with my girls here and whip us into shape! :)

Lulu said...

Totally, you guys can be my guinea pigs and evaluate how I do and give me tips. And I can kick your asses, double win!

edluv said...

since you're giving up Wednesday does that mean you will do fri & sat?