Tuesday, February 24

My justification for not going out during the week

We all know that sleep is important, but in more ways than you might think. Several studies have recently shown links between sleep and weight that is pretty fascinating. Researchers say that how much you sleep and quite possibility the quality of your sleep may effect the hormonal activity that is tied to your appetite.

The hormons leptin and ghrelin work in a kind of "checks and balances" system to control feelings of hunger and fullness. Ghrelin, which is produced in the gastrointestinal tract, stimulates appetite, while leptin, produced in fat cells, sends a signal to the brain when you are full. When you’re sleep deprived, your ghrelin levels increase at the same time that your leptin levels decrease. The result is an increased craving for food and not feeling full.

A Stanford study had 1,000 volunteers report the number of hours they slept each night. Doctors then measured their levels of ghrelin and leptin, as well as charted their weight. The result was those who slept less than eight hours a night not only had lower levels of leptin and higher levels of ghrelin, but they also had a higher level of body fat. What's more, that level of body fat seemed to correlate with their sleep patterns. Specifically, those who slept the fewest hours per night weighed the most.

The optimal amount of sleep each night is 7-9 hours. I get a solid 8 hours of sleep every night and since I have started doing that consistently I have felt a lot better. I am energetic throughout the day and I seldom have a lot of strong cravings for food. I have enough energy to get through a hard workout and I even feel like lately I have had enough energy to make dinner when I get home at night (smoky corn and black bean pizza is on the menu tonight!).

Sleep however is not a magical weight loss panacea. You also have to have a healthy diet (which is easier to stick with when you get enough sleep) and of course exercise (at least 50 minutes 3 times a week).

So not going out on Wednesdays is not only good for my mood the next day, it is also good for my health and fitness and waistline. A good excuse for loving going to sleep at 10 PM every night.

1 comment:

Madison said...

Don't feel bad about going to sleep at 10, I normally conk out around 9ish! Wow, I am lame.