Wednesday, January 7

February's Resolution

So I have been thinking about what I want my resolution for February to be and yesterday it occured to me, be a more positive person. The reason I had that little light bulb was because I witnessed how destructive and sad people who are negative can be.

One of our superintendents is one of those people that constantly has bad things happening to him and has not had an easy life. At first you feel a little sorry for him, a working guy down on his luck, but the more you get to know him the more you realize he brings this all on himself and takes a victim attitude to everything bad that happens. He complains about his relationship with his wife, the people he works with, even the insurance guy (who is a liar and out to get him). It is just sad to me when people refuse to take responsibility for themselves. I truly believe if he were more positive, better things would happen and he would be a happier person.

When I am around people who are negative, or whiners or are super critical of others it reminds me how ugly a characteristic negativity is. I know I can be negative at times like everyone else and when I get in one of those moods I am miserable and I take it out on other people and no one wants to be around that. I also believe that having that attitude attracts bad things to you, a self fulfilling prophecy if you will. I realize that in everyones life a little negativity must fall but I would like to work on keeping it in perspective and being more proactive about things, in particular about my happiness. I can't control everything but when bad things do happen I can blow it out of proportion and bith about it more than is neccesary. That isn't making the problem go away but making it worse.

Just some thoughts on my February resolution. So far 7 days in and January's resolution is going well. I look forward to my year of improvement!

No comments: