Monday, December 22

More Gym Woes

I generally avoid talking to most people at the gym. There are a few people that I will say hello to and chat with briefly and then there are those that I avoid eye contact with because I know they will not keep things brief if I get stuck in a conversation with them.

There is one old man that I have been seeing with more regularity that is on my avoid making eye contact list. He wears the old school sweats with the hooded sweatshirt with a beanie and he always wears the hood up while he rides the bike. One day I was on the bike next to him and although I had my ipod on, he kept asking me questions. Each time I had to say "hold on" while I fumbled with my ipod to pause it and then asked him to repeat the question. This is how he got on my avoid eye contact list, he obviously doesnt care that I am listening to something so if I make eye contact he is likely to start talking.

Sunday I was doing my ab work and I knew he was walking by me so I made sure not to look up. He however stopped and leaned over and started talking, which is really hard to pretend to ignore. So I stopped, told him to hold on while I paused my ipod and then asked him top repeat himself. He then starts telling me that he hopes I am not trying to lose weight because he thinks I am a little too skinny. Well thank you for that sir, to think if I lost weight I might not have a chance to be with you, that would have been devestating. I did not say that of course, he wouldnt have picked up on my sarcasm, but I told him that no, I was not trying to lose weight I just like to be in good shape and went back to my ab work. As a matter of fact, I have gaind 5 pounds since the marathon which I suspect is mostly muscle growth since I have been hitting the weights really hard and can see more muscle, especially in my upper body. I love having muscle and seeing definition and I realize that not everyone likes that look on a woman but I could care less. I feel sexy when I feel strong and I love how athletic women look. Why some people feel compelled to tell other people what they find attractive without any prompting is beyond me. Believe it or not women are not always tring to please men, crazy I know.

There is always something interesting going on at the gym. I should start live blogging.

10 comments:

Adam said...

You know, if you put on another 5 pounds, I might be interested. ;)

Lulu said...

I neither gain nor lose weight for any man!

edluv said...

wouldn't it be funny if you gained like 5 lbs in your hand? just one hand.

no, i guess not.

maybe you should stop pausing your ipod when you're on the bike. just roll with it, and maybe enough not answering will stop people from asking questions.

Adam said...

Ed, that's what I do at work, but it doesn't always work. If people really want to talk to you, they'll impose themselves by standing in your sight lines or tapping you or something.

I can see chatting with someone while running or riding, but in the middle of reps just seems idiotic. I wouldn't want to ruin that rhythm.

Lulu, would you do it for a woman though?

Lulu said...

Well Ed I would prefer to gain 5 pounds in my boobs (not just one) if I got to choose one area but I dont think that will be happening. Eh, they would probably annoy me if they were that big anyway.

And I can only get away with not pausing my ipod if I pretend not hear him, which is hard to do when he sticks his face up in mine.

No matter how annoyed I get I cant be intentionally rude to anyone unless they are a jerk and he is just a clueless old man.

Lulu said...

No Adam, no woman either. I am the one who has to be happy in my body so I listen to myself in regard to that and I am happier when I am strong, not scrawny or not pudgy.

And this is the second time an old man has started talking to me in the middle of a rep of something. I was doing squats and some man thought that would be a good time! I wish young or good looking men would talk to me but instead I have to beat the old men away with a stick (or barbell may be more appropriate).

Maybe if I think positively when I go to the gym today quantum physics will help me out and a hot man will approach me.

Lulu said...

BTW Ed, you and Heather need to start going to the gym so I can start pointing these people out so you know I am not exaggerating! The couple who does reflective workouts while facing each other is my favorite oddity there.

edluv said...

yeah. i may be trying to coordinate w/nocketback to get together and play racquetball & lift weights on some sort of regular schedule. i'm not sure what heather's up to re:the gym, i know she wants to hit the yoga class they have.

edluv said...

but, yeah, we do need to get over there as we're paying for it.

edluv said...

i wonder how big 5lbs of boob is?