Friday, November 14

Girls on The Run

After adding up all of thew donations that I recieved from my generous frinds and family I was able to raise $1,153 for Girls on the Run International! I think this is a very worthy organization and I am proud to be able to support it. Hopefully someday there can be a local chapter of Girls on The Run because I would love to be more involved in it and there are many girls in the Fresno area that could benefit from it. So thank you to everyone, I know the economy isn't great right now so the fact that you were willing to open your wallet to help young girls warms my heart.

I got an email from Girls on the Run that featured a story written by one of the coaches. I included it below because it illustrates what this organization does for girls and what your money is going to:


Sierra was in Girls on the Run. She was a big girl and some of her classmates called her fat.

Two-thirds of the way through the 12-week program the girls attempt their first 3.1 mile run or walk. Sierra did not believe she could do it. While the majority of girls in the group were running past her, I could see Sierra looking at them with envy. "My body can never do this."
While Sierra stubbornly trudged through two miles, all of the other girls had finished and were socializing at a nearby picnic table.
Among them was Jordan. Jordan was the fastest runner. She was a slender third-grader and always finished first. On this day, Jordan noticed something special. She noticed that Sierra had gone further than she ever had. She walked to the edge of the track. "Sierra, you've gone further than you ever have! Come on, you can do it," she yelled joyfully.

In that moment, I witnessed a light-THE light-sparkle in Sierra's eyes. The realization that "I CAN do this" transformed her trudging into a jog, her attitude into a kick and her body into a machine. With every ounce of her being, Sierra started to jog, then run, huffing and puffing every step of the way. She smiled with each step--moving her strong body effortlessly over the pavement.
Before the last lap was complete all 16 girls had joined her. She had done it. The body that never would--could. A smile, as big as California, stretched across Sierra's beautiful face; sweat glistened on her brow.

On that day, Sierra took her body back. She took it back from the magazines, from the movies and from the MTV images. She took her body back from the teacher that told her she was lazy and from the classmates who called her fat. Big. Strong. Beautiful. Bold. Her body was her body and she took it back.
Millions of people across our planet run and each has a unique motivation for doing so.. For me, thanks to Sierra and the other beautiful and diverse girls that I celebrate with at finish lines all across the country, I run for joy, wonder and gratitude for this remarkable thing we call the human spirit.

No comments: