Friday, August 8

The Olympics are Here! The Olympics are here!


I have been anxiously waiting all summer for this and finally, it is time for the start of the Olympic games! I am seriously giddy. The opening ceremonies have already begun (I love how futuristic and that stadium is, amazing) and are probably done by now and it looks like it will be a pretty good show that I look forward to watching tonight.

After watching Project Runway this week, I looked forward to seeing what the USA athletes would be wearing. It was actually very similar to Terri's design:

I don't understand why the women have to wear the exact same thing as the men, but it looks pretty smart and sporty/casual. I love watching the athletes walking through the stadium and being introduced. Their expressions range from pure joy to being completely overwhelmed by it all. I can't even imagine how that must feel but it must be amazing.


This year the athlete that is carrying the American flag is Lopez Lamong, one of the Lost Boys of Sudan. He has only been a citizen for 13 months and won the vote and has quite an amazing story.
He was born in Sudan, separated from his parents at the point of a gun at age 6, and with the help of friends, he escaped confinement and made it to a refugee camp in Kenya. In 2001, he was brought to America as part of a program to relocate lost children from war-torn Sudan.


Lamong is also a member of Team Darfur, an international coalition of athletes committed to raising awareness about and bringing an end to the genocide in Darfur, Sudan. Lamong had this to say about his involvement:
"I’m worried about the kids who are dying in Darfur and South Sudan. The kids don’t have the dream they could be Olympic athletes or doctors. I want those kids to reach what their dreams are. It's not just what's going on between the Chinese government and the Sudanese. It's what's going on with the people. We hope those kids can pursue what their dreams are."

I don't always like when people use the olympic games to express poilitical points of view, but in this case it is not only appropriate but impossible to seperate the athlete from the cause. That is part of his experience and his life and it wouldnt make sense to ignore that during the games.

Bring on the track & Field, gymnastics, swimming, marathon, triathalon & volleyball.

9 comments:

Monticore said...

I'm with you I love the opening cerimonies. Also there outfit is totally excepted because Ralph Lauren designed it (come on show some creativity don't just phone it in). I guess it could be worse they could all be wearing that pink prom dress he designed for g. paltrow when she one the A.A.

Lulu said...

I liked Australlia's enseble. They had white jackets and darker pants and shirts. I think the females may even have been wearing skirts.

And yeah they really do reek of Ralph Lauren Americana, not very creative.

edluv said...

maybe we should get together and watch the opening ceremonies tonight. 8.8.08, @ 8:08.

i'm know we always want everything to focus on us, but damn i hate that time zone thing. i feel like i can't check out espn.com during the day because it'll ruin my watching of events @ night.

as for the outfit, it's pretty much the same ensemble that they often wear. really, the roots ensemble from the last olympics was more of an irregularity than the traditional coat & slacks.

timidvenus said...

so, i get excited about the summer olys. g and i were at our neighbors this morning and milena (the mom) says 'whatcha doin tonight?' i said we had no plans, and she told me that each olympics they have an opening ceremony party where they eat food from the host country. so tonight at 6 were going over there for some chinese food and to watch the opening ceremony.
yippee!!!

Lulu said...

Chinese food, nice. I love a little theme party, thats a great idea.
You need to come to my birthday theme party tomorrow night though. Well it isnt so much a party as it is what we usual do (drink) just with dinner beforehand.

m.wise said...

great post, lulu. i'm looking forward to the opening ceremony too!

Lulu said...

Are you offering your place up Ed? I have to get up early and run tomorrow so I am not going to be out late but I will come by if you are offering!

Lulu said...

Oh and I cant get my laptop to work at home, the electric cord no longer charges so keep in touch via text message. I dont even know how you fix that. Damn.

edluv said...

if you haven't left yet and get this, sure we can watch @ our place, although i'll have to put some crap away first.