Wednesday, July 23

R.I.P. Estelle Getty


Madison beat me to posting this, but sadly yesterday Estelle Getty passed away. Estelle is best known for her role of Sophia Petrillo, the wise cracking, fiesty mother on the Golden Girls. If you have been to my apartment you may have noticed my obsession with that show as I have the entire series on dvd and have watched each episode many many times. Sophia was my favorite character and I plan to be as onry as her when I am an old lady.

No one could have played Sophia as well as she did and the show would have never been so successful without her. Sophia is one of the most memorable tv characters of all time but aside from her acting abilities, she was a vocal supporter of gay rights and active in fundraising for AIDS research. She retired in 2000 after revealing she was suffering from Parkinson's disease. Two years later, she announced she was suffering from Alzheimer's disease.

Here are some of her more memorable quotes from that show:
(Sophia walks into the kitchen)
Dorothy : You couldn't sleep either, huh?
Sophia : No, I'm sleeping so good I thought I'd come try it in the sink.

Dorothy : Well Blanche is certainly taking her sister's novel better than I would. I would kill my sister Gloria if she ever wrote about my sex life.
Sophia : You would kill your sister over a pamphlet?

Sophia : Blanche, a terrible thing has happened to you. But when life does something like this, there are a couple of things you got to remember. You got your health, right?
Blanche : Yeah.
Sophia : You can still walk, can't you?
Blanche : That's true.
Sophia : Great, go get me a glass of water


(see pic above)
Rose : Sophia, is that a Captain Jack's Seafood Shanty uniform?
Sophia : No, Rose. I'm off to discover the Straits of Magellan. Yo ho!

4 comments:

Madison said...

It's so nice to hear someone else likes Golden Girls, too! I love to watch it when I'm sick, I swear it makes you feel better. My grandmother was just like this before she had a stroke. I loved Estelle in "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot!"

Monticore said...

I hear it yesterday and thought of you and Kendall. I'm sure this is a difficult time for you.

Demirep said...

I think the picture of Estelle Getty in a pirate get-up made me smile more than your Wednesday smile post. =D

Lulu said...

Now that I think about it, I agree!