Wednesday, July 30

Project Runway Episode 3

In this episode the contestants took a bus ride through rainy New York and were given cameras to take pictures of things that inspire them. Later they would chose a picture that they took and use it to create an outfit around.

Meanwhile Suede continues to refer to himself in the 3rd person, augh.

Rocker chick (stella) continues her bitching and complaining about nearly everything in her irritating accent. She is also putting a lot of time into her I am rock n roll campaign 08, announcing how rock n roll she is at every opportunity. I can't help but think that she looks like she smells. I also think someone should tell her that jet black hair in your 40's ages you no matter how rock n roll you are.

The two plain girls I can't seem to keep straight. They both incite me to long bouts of yawning and look like they were supposed to be getting a makeover on What Not To Wear but somehow wandered into the wrong studio. One of them gets inspired by a clock becayse NY is the city that never sleeps. Well thats creative. Is she Mormon? Maybe Amish.

Well it turns out Keith is the Mormon of the group and they surely wouldnt have two Mormons so that answered that question. Keith talks about how he is from Utah and how it was hard being gay in that enviornment. I think it is the bandana tied around his forehead that is the real problem though.

Once they began to work, Stella once again decided to announce she is rock n roll as she hammers away at some metal stud leather mess she was creating, irritating everyone. We get it Stella, you are so rock n roll. When she inevitably gets kicked off the show for being one dimensional though, at least she can get a job as the Ramones stylist.
She came up with this little number:

It is a distinct look, but a vest and tight pants that lace up, really? I think rockers have been wearing that very same outfit since the 60's, not exactly creative or risky but it is what she does best and she wanted to showcase that for the judges so ok but I really hope she has a little more diversity in her looks.

After hours of stressed out working they were finally able to take it to the runway and to guest judge Sandra Bernhard -- wtf? I never considered her a fashion icon myself, maybe she is just there as a gay icon or maybe it is a NY thing but I found it odd she was a guest judge. Kind of like Jaclyn Smith hosting Shear Genius.

Anyway after they all sashayed down the runway, the field was cut in half as the middle of the roaders left the runway and the judges got down to what they do best, criticising. I was a little suprised with some of the praise they gave out though. This looks the judges raved about but I couldnt understand why:

My favorite this week was the work of one of the boring (although less so than the other) Leanne:

The picture again doesnt really give it justice but it was very well executed and I liked to contrast and lines.
The judges decided Kiley was the winner this week:

I like this look as well. I am not a fan of tulle but she uses it well, the colors are great and it's cute. I could see a Gwen Steffani type wearing this and pulling it off. I however would look like a Golden Girl.

And finally Emily was given the boot because of this little number:


Tim tried to warn her but to no avail. Not only does this look like an outfit that a prostitute trying to emulate Carrie Bradshaw would wear but it is also not very creative or interesting.

Stay tuned for next weeks recap.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I'd be curious to see the photos that inspired each of those creations.

Lulu said...

I couldnt find them anywhere but the first outfit was inspired by graffiti, the second was a detail of a curve of paved street,I cant remember what the next one was inspired by and the losing design was a picture of lights from the street with a slow exposure so they were very curvy. It was actually a cool picture, too bad the design failed miserably.