Thursday, May 15

I Am So Angry I Am Shaking

One thing we don't discuss very often in my family is politics and in particular gay marriage. Once or twice this has come up and it ends with my parents and I being very upset with each other. With California overturning its ban on gay marriage today my dad decided to bring up the issue which was a big mistake. I work with four very conservative people (including my parents) and the way they view some things has really bothered me in the past. I knew that this wouldn't go well when I started in on it but this is an issue I feel very strongly about because I frankly cannot understand how people justify being against gay marriage.

Naturally I praised the decision and everyone else rolled their eyes, sighed or otherwise displayed discontent with the decision. I don't even know at what point it got heated but it didnt take long. My dads long standing "argument" about why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed is that marriage has always been between a man and a woman and its tradition. Obviously I do not accept that as any type of argument whatsover. "Thats the way it has always been done" does not hold water because if thats the way we make decisions I would be at home cooking and cleaning while I take care of 3 kids and wait for my husband to come home so I could serve him after his long day. Things evolve and change and laws, rules and traditions change with it. That reason aloneis never good enough. What I suspect my dad wont say but wants to is that he thinks being gay is wrong.

I cant even discuss what else was said because I am incredibly embrassed and dissapointed to know my parents feel this way. It breaks my heart to think that if I were gay, my own parents wouldnt accept that part of me and thus not accept me. It is also so incredibly hypocritical of my parents to raise my sister and I to accept everyone and to not judge people, which is obviously our viewpoint now, and then not do the same thing themselves.

It is fucking tradition? Well fuck your tradition, it isn't right.