Tuesday, April 22

The Life of Kasey

Kendall and I often talk about the fact that we could write a really funny book about all of our bizzare and ridiculous experiences we have had with boys over the years. Yesterday I had an experience that could definitely be a part of that book.

I was at the gym and when I am there I always have my ipod on because I really hate working out without music and it can keep people from talking to me. However that didnt deter Harold from chatting it up with me yesterday. Harold is an older man, probably around 60 and as I was stretching he started talking about how I was in good shape which quickly turned into a "I have this friend who I play basketball with who has a crush on you". He then continues to inform me that this guy is about 20 years old, very shy and he thinks he is a little slow or mentally retarded (his words exactly). At this point I am not sure where he is going with all of this but I am not comfortable where this seems to be going. He keeps talking and I am not able to get a word in whatsoever.Eventually he gets to his point, which apparantly was asking me if I could be nice to him to give him a little extra confidence.

I had no idea how to respond to this. There were other people around who could hear this conversation so I didnt want to be rude but I also really didnt want to have to talk to this guy because it will be awkward as hell and I dont want him to think that I like him. I appreciate that he is just trying to help out his friend but it puts me in an awkward situation. I go to the gym 6 days a week and I know the guy he is talking about and he is there probably just as much and at the same time as me so it isnt like I will be able to avoid him ever. I tried to tell Harold that I was seeing someone but he made a joke about how it doesnt matter since I am not married and then suggested that I just pay him some compliments but let him know I have a boyfriend. WTF?

The conversation ended with him telling me, not asking me, that he would introduce us sometime and he left. Effing fantastic. Lets take the one place I like to go to get away from all the bullshit and heap it in. I dont think I will be able to avoid this at all so I am sure I will have an update of the awkward interaction to entertain you all with. *Sigh*

4 comments:

Adam said...

I can't wait! I hope it happens tomorrow so you can tell us about it over drinks!

Lulu said...

And you know how good I am at telling stories....

edluv said...

awesome. a guy that may be possibly retarded, that loves basketball, maybe hitting on our little girl. she's all growns up!

whatever you do, don't compliment the retard. unless you really mean it. no point in giving some poor sap hope just because an old man introduced you.

Lulu said...

Its a tough one because I dont want to give him hope but I also dont want to be the girl who was a bitch to the retard! I think if I stay polite and mention my "boyfriend" I may be alright.