Tuesday, April 1

I Don't Mean To Bitch But....

Ok I am seriously getting perturbed by Monica now. I called yesterday and she wasn't there but was coming it at 4, so I asked if I could leave a message so she could call me so I wouldnt have to take a chance that she would be in the middle of a tattoo if I called back. I was very pleasant when I called and gave the receptionist my name and number and the tattoo I was getting and asked that Monica please give me a call to let me know what the current status with my drawing was. She never called me back. Tomorrow it will have been 3 weeks since she told me she would have it done and I have left her two messages that she hasnt returned.

Artist or not it is unprofessional and inconsiderate to ignore your client. I gave her my $50 deposit that I have a reciept for and she will be getting a lot more of my money when she actually does the tattoo but that apparantly doesnt mean much. I am to the point where I would rather go to someone else who will gee I dont know, communicate with me and let me know whats going on. I dont feel like she cares very much about me or the tattoo that I am getting and it makes me a little uncomfortable. If I had gone with just about anyone else, I would have a peacock on my back by now. It doesn't look like I would get my $50 deposit back because they have a non refundable deposit clause, but at least I could be comfortable with the person who is going to be permanately inking my skin. I am giving her a few more days and then I am done.

In other news the bachelorette party planning is going well. There is even a possibility that we might be taking a trip into Tower Saturday night. So if you see a big yellow stretch limo taxi with 13 drunk girls getting out of it, be afraid, be very afraid.

8 comments:

Adam said...

Being on the other side of the coin (being an artist or craftsperson or what have you), I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I understand your frustration and wouldn't blame you for taking your business elsewhere.

From what I've heard, she's been extremely busy lately and having met a couple of their receptionists personally (also not knowing how their voicemail system works), I can see how it would be easy for a message to get lost.

You might try stopping by the shop and trying to catch her there after work.

Lulu said...

I feel like I have given her the benefit of the doubt. Even if somehow 2 messages were lost and she didnt know I had tried to contact her, I would think after being 3 weeks late with something it would occur to her to get in contact with me.
If she is indeed that busy then it would be easier for both of us if I went somewhere else because she doesnt have time for me anyway.
I know she does this for a living and it isnt a big deal to her but it is a big deal to me. I am getting something permantely inked and I want to feel like she is putting the time and effort into it deserves and if she cant because she is too busy, then I can find someone else who can.

Lulu said...

Oh, I also sent an email, that was never responded to as well. It seems odd to me that I could leave messages in 3 different forms and have her not get any of them. And also, having been a receptionist, I also think they get a raw deal sometimes and are easy to blame when someone forgets or neglects to return a phone call.
I know you are just giving her the benefit of the doubt which is understandable because your and Eds experience was very positive, I just havent had anything near that same experience.

Fishy said...

skin decor, corner of shaw and blackstone. they have great artists, very clean, and they get to work quick.

Adam said...

Well, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt not because I had a good experience but because I work in the same kind of environment where I have a lot of different people, bids, and phone calls to keep track of. It's very easy for someone to slip through the cracks. Sort of the same idea as faxing a tattoo picture to a contractor or accidentally sending an email bitching about your mom, to your mom. Shit happens, mistakes are made.

My neglecting to give someone a phone call is by no means a reflection on my ability to do the actual craft part of my work, just as her inability to return your call is a reflection on her actual ability to make a tattoo.

But once again, I understand how you feel. I very much do the same thing when I'm the one that's slipped through the cracks. It's very easy to take it personally or associate it with her being bad at what she does. I feel bad that you're getting a raw deal out of this.

Lulu said...

I dont think it is a reflection on her ability to tattoo at all. Obviously I have seen her work and its good but I feel like her abilities are not so advanced or great that they cant be matched by other artists, ones that will be more respectful of me and my time and money.
Again, even if I assume she hasnt received any of my messages then she is still 3 weeks late with no phone call or update which isnt cool in my opinion. I dont think she is out to get me either, but my excitement to get the tattoo is now being overshadowed by all of this and my whole experience has been frustrating when there is no need for it to be.

Lulu said...

Actually let me clarify what I meant when I said that I was growing uncomfortable with her doing the tattoo because I just re-read my post and I see where Adam was coming from.
I do not think she is bad at her craft, but I want the experience with this person to be a good, positive one. It isnt a piece of furniture that can be changed or put in a closet or sold, it will be a part of me forever so I do take it pretty seriously. For me it just isnt the finished product, its the collaboration and relationship thats important as well. I want to feel happy and excited to get this but bubble is bursting. I dont know if that makes any sense.

edluv said...

i think:
1. you have given her tons of time
2. you should still go with her. she is a great artist. this doesn't explain why they're avoiding you though.
3. hopefully she'll contact you soon, and it'll be all good.
4. i've been to skin decor, and thought they were clean and fast, but i also thought the guy that did my tattoo was an asshole. and he was the owner. my experience there made me run back to tower for my next one. obviously, nick has had a much different experience.