Wednesday, March 26

My Sponsorship Kit Came!

A month or so ago I posted about how I signed up with Women to Women International to provide financial and emotional support to a disadvantaged woman and yesterday I got my welcome kit with a picture and description of the woman I was matched with. Just to recap how this program works, women sign up for it and it lasts a year in length. During that time they go through this program to get life and job skills so they can be self sufficient and provide for themselves and their families. I provide monthly financial support and write her letters to encourage her and get to know her.

The woman I was matched with is Remzija Muhic from Bosnia. She is 51 years old, widowed and has 2 children. She is unenployed because she cannot find work due to her age. They send a picture with her information and her face reflects the difficult life that she has had. She looks tired and sad, her face is heavily lined for her age her expression blank. She only completed primary school and has lost family members from war and violence. They also provide you with information on Bosnia so I can understand the country where she lives and the problems she encounters. One fact that stood out to me is that 40% of the population is unemployed.

The next step is for me to write her a letter to introduce myself and hopefully get some kind of conversation going. I sat down and tried to start writing this letter but I am struggling with what to say. What do I say to a 51 year old mother who lives in poverty and cant support herself when I am 27, living comfortably, complaining about such petty things as people getting more time off of work than I do? I dont want to sound condescending, I feel very fortunate to grow up the way I did and she never had that opportunity. The only reason I have what I have is because I happened to be born in the right place. It really puts things into proper perspective. I have the opportunities to do whatever I want to do when so many people do not and I should take advantage of that and do not let anything like laziness or procrastination hold me back.

I am very glad I decided to do this. I am excited to forge a relationship with Remzija and I hope that this program can help her improve her life.

No comments: