Sunday, February 24

From The Mind Of Kasey

Being a woman that lives alone, I sometimes contemplate my safety and what I would do if someone were to break into my apartment and/or attack me. It probably doesn't help that I am a Law & Order fanatic and will typically watch at least one episode of it a day, usually Special Victims Unit.

I have only felt unsafe in my apartment once when at 3 am my bag of golf clubs fell over in my closet in the other bedroom and scared the crap out of me. I had no idea what was going on, I just knew a very loud noise came from somewhere in my apartment. I froze for a minute or so and when I didnt hear anything else I got up to investigate thinking to myself "this is always how women get attacked in the movies, when they go to investigate". I couldnt just lay in bed and wait to find out if someone was in the apartment though so I got up to get it over with.

I turned on lights and went to every room and found nothing out of place or anything broken and everything was secure so I went back to bed. It drove me crazy for a few days until I found the bag had fallen over when I got something out of the closet. While wandering around the apartment though I thought about where I would hide or go if someone had been in there and didnt have a good answer. Today I may have just found my answer.

While doing laundry I glanced down at the dryer and thought I just may be able to fit in there and I doubt anyone would look for someone in a dryer. So I had to see if I actually would fit so I wringled around and with just a little twisting and contorting I fit, quite snuggly and rather uncomfortably. I wasnt brave/stupid enough to close the door all the way because I was afraid it would get stuck or something and I would get a Darwin Award for dying in a dryer and no one would have any idea what I was doing in the dryer in the first place and I wouldnt want to hear what people may come up with to explain that.

So hopefully I will never have to test my theory out, but at least I have a plan.

And that my friends is just a snipit of the thoughts that can occupy my mind.

5 comments:

Adam said...

It's good that you think of these things, but don't you think it would be better to hit the fire escape in the back? There's a door in your laundry room right?

But that's funny. I think every one has those thoughts. C'mon. The first week I was here in this apartment, I slept with a WW I rifle next to my bed. With bayonet attached. And no, I didn't have it loaded. But it sounds scary as fuck when you pull the bolt back and then lock it down. Especially in the dark. If nothing else, I would have clubbed 'em with it.

Lulu said...

YEs the fire escape could be good too but it would depend on how much time I had. That door is really hard to open and I am not really sure if I would have to take the steps down or if it is al;ready down...should look into that. If they had a un thouh and I was makin a bunch of racket trying to get down that thing I would be a pretty easy target.
I sometimes put something next to my bed too, not a WW1 riffle or anything, usually it is just a knife from the kitchen. I feel more unsafe at my parents house than my apartment though. I think it is a proximity issue though, my neighbors would definitely hear something but no one would hear much at my parents.

Adam said...

Yeah, see, but if you really had to, you could probably safely make the jump from the fire escape. Hiding in the dryer is all well and good, but there's no escape. You're gambling only on them not finding you.

I'd be gambling on escaping the apartment, them being a bad shot, or just not being interested at all in giving chase.

edluv said...

honestly, I was surprised when you answered the door on thursday night.

Lulu said...

Yeah me too, usually I hide. I figured it was probably one of you guys but I had no way of knowing, I guess I just had a feeling it was safe;) Isnt that what Oprah tells you, go with your instinct? Yeah because my instinct has never been wrong...