Monday, December 10

Sometimes a New Perspective Can Be Benefical

Over Thanksgiving I was talking to a family friend Charley Ford, who also happens to be my old 6th grade teacher and volleyball coach. He was without a doubt my most influential teacher and I have always had a great deal of respect for him. When he was my teacher we had to read these books on values. Each of these books had a topic like "persistence", "integrity", "attitude", "responsibility" etc. There were probably about 15-20 of them and we had to write a report about how they apply to our lives after we were done with each book. This is something that has always stayed with me and we still have chats about these types of things even today.

Well over Thanksgiving he gave me a book to read, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People". Having read a great deal of self help books when I was in grad school that focused on organizational effectiveness I didn't really have any high ideals of how this may benefit me. I gave it a shot though and although there is no ground-breaking completely new information, it has been helping me to take a closer look at my own paradigms and how I approach the world.

Where I have seen the most relevance is in my job. I have a horrible attitude when it comes to work, blaming frequently and pawning my unhappiness off on other people. This may not be my dream job but it is the job that I have now so why be miserable when I can change my attitude instead of just reacting negatively. It may not solve all of my problems but maybe it will prevent me from being so negative and at times feeling sorry for myself for no good reason. I have always thought of myself as a happy person but if I die tomorrow, I dont know if thats what people would say about me. That makes me sad, so I am going to work on it.

(And no this does not mean sarcastic, smart ass Kasey is going anywhere, she will definitely still be around-I just want to change the way I react when things don't go my way so I dont let it effect me as much as it does now)

25 comments:

Adam said...

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.





...testing, testing...

Just checking to see how you reacted.

Lulu said...

You can think what you like, I am not going to let you effect my day.

Ass.

;)

edluv said...

i just want you to stop crying because i accidentally hit in the face with some ice like 9 months ago. you should have given birth to that baby.

Lulu said...

I don't think I have brought that up in months, in fact I pretty much forgot about it but if it helps you feel better, I will continue to not bring it up.

Adam said...

Ah, how great that you post about changing your outlook on life and we come to antagonize.

You're gonna have to work on new blogging material if you're gonna let work stuff go.

Lulu said...

I know, I have been thinking about that. What will replace my work rants??
Only time will tell...oh god, I hope this doesnt mean I have to be all political now!

Adam said...

Help us all.

edluv said...

yeah, i know i made that comment and you really hadn't brought it up in a long time. but it was all i had at the time. oh well.

i suppose i could have said something encouraging.

Lulu said...

If either of you had said something encouraging, I might have dropped dead from the shock actually so maybe it is a good thing you didnt:)

Adam said...

How dare you?! Why don't you just go to hell! You're terrible for saying that!!!11!!!1

I'm the king of encouragement!

Lulu said...

Well I didn't know you had an official title, I guess with all the time you spend making fun of me the encourgament part gets lost.
If you are the King though, what is Ed?

Lulu said...

Oh wait, I know. Ed is Captain Encouragement. Thats it.

edluv said...

well at least i'm not captain obvious.

i'd worry about him reading that and getting offended (i'm not sure why), but you, i opened up my laptop the other day...

edluv said...

and i want to point out that adam already has a title. it's in your sidebar.

Lulu said...

Wait, huh? Who reading it and getting offended by what?

I re-read what I wrote though and I am very much saying this all tongue in check, lighthearted if you will. I thought Adam was doing the same. Right?

Adam said...

No, I hate you all.

Yes, of course.

But congrats on your longest comment thread. That's always exciting.

edluv said...

totally got it.

do you remember captain obvious from the other night?

Lulu said...

I always knew that sarcastic banter would be the key to a long comment thread.

And I sort of remember Captain Obvious, but not the context of it actually.

m.wise said...

soooo...what cha'all talkin' bout?

Adam said...

The caption obvious is from the night Nick brought that other girl, Amy was it? We were rolling dice with about a billion dice in the cups and I was bitter because your end of the table was playing terribly and Sara, Becca and I had to follow Amy's absurd calls (it was akin to noob button-mashing, "Aaaaaaaah, 24 fives, but I don't know what I'm doing!" What they're all there, damn it!). It kept coming back to bite me in the ass.

Anywho, I went out quick and Nick said something about how I was out and I called him captain obvious. Then Heather called him detective obvious.

edluv said...

and then he opened up his laptop...

Adam said...

Yeah, I found all my old Space Ghost songs and my pictures from Hawaii and some old poems...

...I feel like I'm having deja vu.

Lulu said...

haha, thats right I remember laughing at that. And now I am laughing at it again, muhahaha!

edluv said...

and you'll have it again tonight

Adam said...

and you'll like it!