Monday, August 6

Just a few light hearted musings

I was asking my Dad this morning about Fantasy Football because I am going to be in a league this year and have never done it, and after we discussed some of the ends and outs he said, "Kasey, I used to think I would have liked to son but you pretty much take that role on as well as any guy would." This made me laugh. I truly enjoy doing "boy" things and I always have. I love watching sports, I love participating in sports,I love competition (you know thats all boys like to do right?). Obviously I am generalizing gender differences here (Adam, no need to jump on that one I am well aware)but those things and activities that are typically assigned to male gender roles are thing things I like to do most. I wonder though if that is something innate in me or if I was socialized to be that way as my Dad tried to fill the void of a son. I suspect both. I played with barbies from time to time growing up, but mostly I was out in the dirt getting into things and playing sports which I had an interst in and thankfully my parents encouraged. I was very much a tom boy in elementary and jr. high and even high school (this was before I found high heeled shoes and dresses). I like to have my feet in both worlds so to speak and be able to participate in both. Yes I like shopping and getting pedicures and talking to my girlfriends in my bra and underwear while we have pillow fights but I also like fight scenes in movies, football, trash talking, weight lifting and scratching my ass while burping (ok thats a lie, I really dont enjoy scratching my ass but I will do it from time to time). I don't know where I am going with this. In fact I am pretty sure I am going to get a few lessons in what it means to be a male or female with maybe a little gender socialization thrown in for good measure. Perhaps I am the female Adam Carrola, muhahahaha! I am going to go scratch my ass while I have a pillow fight now.

7 comments:

Adam said...

Aaaaaw...your dad was trying to say he loves you.

I'm sure you had some innate desires that drew you to the dirt and sports and such, but I'm also sure your socialization had a lot to do with it as well.

edluv said...

adam didn't want to hurt your feelings, but he told me that he thinks your manish.

and, what kind of self-respecting ffl lets in girls? definitely major loss in man points (them, not you. it's an inverse corollary for you.)

Lulu said...

Yeah, I got that feeling from Adam, he is always checking out my ripped biceps.

And the type of ffl that lets girls in are the enlightened and open minded ones. Or maybe they believe what Adam Carolla does and think that although women have minds like steel traps but their memories are so full of everything wrong that a man has done to them they they dont have room for things like long division which is why women arent better in school and subsequently fantasy football so we arent a threat.

edluv said...

long division? what kind of archaic league are you joining? does last place have to figure out the points of the week's games on tuesday? you know, they have these things on teh internets (aka the series of tubes) now, adnd the do all the maths for you.

Adam said...

Ripped?

Lulu said...

Ed the long division was a direct quote from Adam Carolla and doesn't have anything to do with fantasy football.

Yes adam, ripped. If you are questioning what I mean by ripped look it up in the urban dictionary, if you are questioning that I am ripped, well fuck off:)

Adam said...

All right, then I'll fuck off. See ya. =P