Monday, May 14

the weekend

This weekend, Kendall and I ventured down to Los Angeles to help celebrate our good friend Melissa's graduation from USC pharmacy school, congrats to her.

(Melissa is the dork giving the thumbs up in the background)

When we arrived, her entire family was there as well as her fiance's family and all were blissfully drunk while Kendall and I were stone sober and crabby from the long week and the drive. So we quickly grabbed a glass of wine to counter the Debbie Downer-esque attitudes we were sporting. Soon, we were happy clams.
What made it a little awkward was that Melissa's fiance's brother is my ex-boyfriend and he was there with his new girlfriend whom I have never met. This is the first relationship he has been in since me, and I don't think she was all that thrilled to meet me (understandably). She was also apparantly pretty drunk so I really didn't get to talk to her much. They seemed happy though and a much better match then he and I were so cheers to them.

The next day we went to the beach in Santa Monica and set ourselves up for the day.
Kendall and I are "amazing" at this beach game as my excellent form while the ball sails past me in this picture shows. Kendall also has some skills she was showing off.








I also went for a barefoot run on the beach while I was there and my calves are still tight and sore from it, but I don't often get that opportunity so it was a happy time. Unfortunately I did see a dead seal that had washed up and there were seagulls eating it so the ambiance was kind of ruined after that.

Other beach activities were volleyball, flying a kite, and I actually got in the water for the first time in years. When I do go to the beach I usually don't get in the water because it is too cold but I polar beared it and got in and it felt very....refreshing (sorry, no pictures of that).

Then we all went to dinner at Bubba Gumps and had a lot of shrimp. Our waiter also quized us
in Forest Gump trivia, and we all got the question "Which leg did Lt. Dan lose in the war?" I answered the right leg. I am a smarty pants aren't I? Damn that waiter and his trickery.






Then we walked around the Pier for awhile and came back to Melissa's condo and hung out. Melissa's new puppy Lucy is the most adorable puppy I have ever seen and Melissa's sister little dog was there as well, but I wasn't a huge fan of her because she was a little yippy white dog with a bow in her hair (too much foo foo for me) .










And seeing as I seem to post a lot about old people, Melissa's 83 year old Grandma Helen was also there and she was a spitfire. She asked if any of us had tattoos and then proceeded to announce that she has always wanted to get a bumble bee tattoo on her shoulder. Go granny!
The trip concluded the next morning and the drive home was uneventful, although Kendall and I did see a big rig being towed and the front of the cab of the truck was facing traffic which was somewhat unerving. We (Kendall might have actually had the idea- I cant remember) then had the brilliant idea that this would be the perfect opportunity to scare the crap out of someone if they were sleeping in the car by pulling up very closely behind the truck cab, screaming at the top of your lungs and breaking until the person wakes up and sees this huge big rig right in front of them. We did a dry run where I pretended to be sleeping and I think you would probably crap your pants. Unfortunately it it isn't very often that you have that opprtunity so I can only hope the opportunity presents itself again at some point and that I am not the one sleeping.
I also had dinner with my parents for Moms Day at Million Elephant. If you havent tried their mango and sweet rice, you should definitely order that someday. Also finally watched Tao of Steve last night and it was pretty funny although I started dozing off towards the end so I think I missed some things.
Good weekend.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Sounds like you have a good time. Glad you were able to relax a bit.

Anonymous said...

congrats to Melissa! Sounds like you all had a great weekend!

edluv said...

ah, now i finally know who this girl is. i've heard her referenced (fpu, volleyball, brown hair, named melissa, etc) but i could never put a face to her. now, i recognize that girl.

well, that is, i recognize that i've seen her around fpu. that's about it.

as for the big rig story, you can do it about any time someone is sleeping in the car. i actually think i've seen a commercial where the do it. of course, it doesn't quite have the effect of the big rig, but you just have to wait until someone is getting good sleep on, and then start screaming like you're going to die. the effect is much better with more than one participant. it doesn't have the visual effect, but it's damn frightening. i hear anyway.