Tuesday, April 24

A Ramblin Tuesday Morn

A few rambling thoughts for the day:

  • I love the new no envelope deposits at Wells Fargo. It is a small thing I know, but it makes me happy.
  • I have a huge knot in my neck, it hurts.
  • I have started to read a book that has gotten some attention in the past so I thought I would see what it was all about. The book is Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcom Gladwell. Basically the book argues that your "adaptive unconscious"--a 24/7 mental valet-- provides us with instant and sophisticated information to warn of danger, read a stranger, or react to a new idea (yup, I plagerized that synopsis). He uses interesting examples like speed dating and how by observing a very small segment of conversation between marriage couples you can predict with a very high degree of accuracy if the marriages will last etc. Coupled with the fact that this book is a fairly easy read, all the neccesary criteria for a best selling pop pyschology book are covered. So far no major ah ha moments but it has kept my attention. I also bought the book American Vertigo by Bernard Henri-Levy. It is a somewhat aristocratic frenchmens perspective on America as he travels through America and re-traces the steps of Tocqueville when he wrote "Democracy in America". I hear the French are assholes though so we will see how I like it.

4 comments:

Adam said...

You heard wrong. The French have assholes, just like everyone else. =P

Lulu said...

Well, I guess thats what I get for trying to learn about international relations by watching Dumb and Dumber.

Adam said...

Who, Cheney and Bush?

Lulu said...

Budumbuchhh! Actually Adam, it's Lloyd and Harry.