Monday, March 1

Weekend Wrap Up

I had a great although not very exciting weekend. Friday mike and made apple butter pork sandwiches and sweet potato fries and watched Gran Torino. I had never seen the movie and I cried but I really liked it. Here is the recipe for the prok sandwiches because it is delicious:

Ingredients:

1 pork tenderloin
sourdough bread (or bread of your choice)
Apple butter
1 yellow onion
smoked cheddar cheese
arugula
balsamic vinegar

Directions:
Grill the pork and marinade or use the rub of your choice. Something with a bit of a bite or spice is best. While the pork is being grilled slice 1 yellow onion and add to a pan with olive oil and saute on a low heat until carmelized.
When the pork is almost done take 2 slices of sourdough per sandwich and grill until you get grill marks and the bread is crunchy. It is better to have crunchier bread so it doesn't fall apart when you are eating it. Take the pork off the grill and start assembling sandwiches. Spread apple butter on both sides, add the sliced pork and top with smoked cheese (smoked cheese is the BEST). Add the onion and arugula and splash with balsamic and enjoy! Oh and for the fries, I use 1 tsp of seat salt, 1 tsp, cumin, 1 tsp, paprika, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp chili powder and place fresh rosemary on the bottom of the baking sheet. Place the fries over the rosemary, sprinkle with spices and bake for 20 minutes at 400. Turn them over, add more spice and bake for another 25 or until they are browned to your liking.

Saturday morning we meet up with my mom to do our 20 miler. Luckily the weather cooperated and it only rained the first 4 miles or so. After that it was pretty much smooth sailing until we had to turn around a few places and go a different route because the trail was flooded, until we headed back. From about mile 10-15 there was a really strong headwind that was not fun at all, it really sucked the energy out of out legs and my mom had trouble too. We got through it though and it was one of the best runs we have had. We both felt strong and didn't have any problems and went by pretty fast for 3 1/2 hours of running. I defintely feel ready for the marathon and I know Mike is ready for it too. 20 more days and the training tapering will begin this week! To celebrate the 20 miler we went to dinner at Hunan and had some wonderful chinese food with my parents and ate with glee.

Sunday was a work day after a walk to Satbucks with the Stinker. Nika has been shedding like crazy so there was a lot of vaccuming and sweeping and we also gave her a bath. Then I had tea with Kendall and Ali and ran some errands with Mike, made dinner and watched Marley and Me and cried. I hope Nika never dies.

It was a very good weekend and I am very happy with my life. I wouldn't change a thing about it and I don't think I have ever been able to say that.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Very nice :-)

Though I have to say - I hated Gran Torrino. I did like Marley and Me though - that was adorable.