Monday, January 25

New Finds

I tried two different food items this weekend that I now absolutely love.

First, Almond Milk. Only 60 calories per serving (which is less calories than soy and non fat milk)and it comes in regular, vanilla and chocolate. Unlike animal milk, almond milk contains no cholesterol or lactose and it contains far less saturated fat than cow's milk. I got the plain kind and I really liked the flavor as well. With all of my stomach problems, it just can't hurt to consume more products that are more easily digestible.

Second, Soba Noodles. I have been wanting to try these for awhile and since I was making peanut stir fry last night , I decided to try those for the base of the meal. You only have to boil them 4-6 minutes so they are quick to prepare and you can eat them cold or hot, like any noodle really.

Soba noodles are made with Buckwheat flour. Buckwheat is a gluten-free grain that contains no wheat so once again, less digestive issues. Soba noodles, because of their buckwheat content, are a slow-releasing carbohydrate which is great for endurance athletes. I have had soba noodles at restaurants but it was the first time I made them myself.

Once I cooked the noodles I tossed them with a little bit of sesame oil, added the veggies and chicken tossed with a peanut sauce and viola, they were great! Definitely they will become a staple in our house and there are very versatile so there are a lot of options for preparation.

Good food, good health:)

4 comments:

Adam said...

Don't forget about this!! ;-)

Lulu said...

Oh dear god no. Maybe if it had mayonaise;)

edluv said...

brian made a atkins white russian variant with almond milk yesterday. he said it was really good.

Carrie said...

My mom loves almond milk. I don't like regular milk, and am not the biggest almond eater, so I'll stick to water!