Tuesday, December 29

Truck Woes

I had to get my truck smogged for my vehicle registration renewal and much to my chagrin, didn't pass. So I brought it in to my mechanic and the news was not good. I need a new catalytic converter (whatever the eff that is)and what's awesome about that is my Dad sold me that truck knowing the converter was bad. The "Check Engine" light had been on since I had it and my dad told me it was just some minor thing that needed to just be switched off and not worry about it. So I didn't worry about it and he had forgottn that the reason it was on was because it needed a new converter. When he found out the coverter was going bad, it wasn't under warranty anymore and it wouldn't be a real problem until it had to pass smog again so he just let it go. Apparently I have been polluting the enviornment for years now, sorry world.

But the bad news did not stop there! My back brakes are also on the way out and need to be replaced. The mechanic even suggested that if I was in a position to make car payments to just trade it in and have the dealer deal with it. I have confidence that I am not being taken advantage of where I go because both my parents go there and have for years and so does everyone at work. Plus with the mechanic suggesting I may not even want to bother to get it fixed, I am pretty sure they aren't screwing me over.

The converter is $2,200!!! However since my dad knew about this before he sold it to me and he didn't tell me about it, he felt responsible and I agreed to let MWC take care of it. That leaves me with the brake issue and other various items, which is about $500. My bonus at work this year was 450, so bye bye bonus! It is a bummer that I won't be getting the cute shoes but at least I have the money to pay for this. I don't need new shoes but I do need a driveable vehicle so I am not going to fret.

I will probably keep the truck for another year and then buy a new vehicle next year. I just don't need a $400 car payment to have to make every month with the mortgage and everything else too. This way I can save some money and put that towards the new car. Plus it gives me a year to figure out what I want because right now I don't have a clue. The whole process completely overwhelms me so I will have plenty of time to do research and really figure out what I want.

Being an adult, priceless.

3 comments:

Madison said...

Bummer! That stinks, but at least your dad is paying for the biggest chunk. You're right, being an adult sucks sometimes.

Lulu said...

Yup, I got unlucky and lucky at the same time so I am calling it a wash:) It could always be a lot worse!

Carrie said...

What about the Jeep!!!???