Monday, December 21

Running Update

I can't believe I am already starting my 6th week of marathon training. So far I have run a total of 130 miles, with my longest long run being 12 miles. At the beginning of the training I immediately started having digestion and stomach issues again which frustrated me to no end. I eat so healthy, I just didn't understand what the problem was. I knew that I didn't want to go another whole training program dealing with this crap (excuse the pun). So I read more, did more research and posted questions on running forums for practical advice from other runners who may have experienced similar problems.

Two suggestions from a forum I have started incorporating is eating fig newtons and hummus on pita bread or tortillas as my mid run snack instead of gu's or gels that are specifically for endurance athletes. The new foods taste great and they are more real food than any gel or gu is. So far, they haven't upset my stomach and I haven't felt like I have hit a wall during a run so thats very positive.

I also had been eating peanut butter on toast before runs and read that eating fat prior to working out is not such a great idea. A whole tablespoon of peanut butter has 10 grams of fat (considered 2 fat servings). Then there’s whatever fat is in the bread I was using. Fats are digested and absorbed very slowly, compared to carbohydrates and proteins. Pre- and post-exercise choices should be rich in carbohydrate and protein, but very low in fat. So I switched to just eating a bowl of cereal (corn chex) with fat free milk and since making that change I have had no stomach problems during a long run whatsoever. This is HUGE for me and I hope my new diet continues to work.

I was also fearful that my foot would really start hurting once I picked up my mileage. Well after a back to back 29 mile week and a 30 mile week, I have no change in my foot whatsover. The pain certainly did not increase, even after a 12 miler yesterday and being on my feet in the kitchen the whole rest of the day baking and cooking. Phew! This is also a big relief for me.

The goal of this marathon is not to improve my time. At first it was, but much more importantly is I want to run this with Mike. This is his first marathon and it is not something that he ever thought he could or would do and I want him to have a really great experience. Pushing for a time is unneccesary and defeats the purpose. We are doing this together and that is what is important to me. I don't want him to hate it so much that he quits or regrets doing it. It is a huge accomplishment and I am just thrilled that he is attempting something that seems impossible (even though I know he can totally do it). He is going to be so happy and proud of himself when he runs it and I can't wait to see that.

No comments: