Thursday, November 19

Is it Thursday already??

Well I have had a busy week so far and havent had time nor have I been able to post an update.

This weekend Mike and I went to Shaver and stayed in the cabin and had a great time. The worst pasrt about the cabin is coming home *sigh* I wish I could live up there. It was very cold but beautiful. We woke up early Saturday morning (I wish I had the pictures we took right now, will post later)and drove up to Huntington Lake to hike up to Kaiser Peak. The closer we got though the more snow was on the ground. About 3 inches had fallen last week so it was still quite undisturbed and pristine. We even saw a bald eagle on the coastline at Shaver! We started the hike and got a bit off track because trails are hard to see in the snow, however with Mike's trusty GPS we got back on track and started up the mountain. Most of the way the snow wasn't too bad and there were some amazing views. The day was so clear, you could see for miles.

About a third of the way up though the snow started getting a little too deep and we had to turn around and go back. I can't wait to do this hike in the summer and get all the way to the top. We will probably make it an overnight backpacking trip and go up the back way and do the loop, yay! I have never gone backpacking and I am super excited to do a lot of that next summer.

When we came back to Shaver low clouds rolled in and put a heavy fog around everything. It was really cold but reminded me of the north west in the big trees. We drove up to McKinley Grove to see the huge seqouia trees and there was no one there but us. It looked a little creepy in the dense fog with these huge trees. I had forgotten just how big they are and the fact that they are 2,000 years old blows my mind.

Sunday we hiked around the cabin and just relaxed then reluctantly went home.

Monday I had jury duty and I got in a jury pool for a 11 week trial. Yeah, ridiculous. I don't mind serving but I cant not do my job for 11 weeks and there is no one here who has the time to do it for me. I also cant do my job at nights and weekends because subs and architects aren't open to be able to get things done. I got sat in the jury box, pleaded my case and was dismissed from that case, but I have to call Friday and might have to go back next week.

Tuesday my hard drive crashed on my cmputer at work and I just got it back today. Strangely, I am much more productive when I have no internet access but it has been frustrating to move my office to another area and use my moms printer for things. It is back and running now though so woo hoo!

Marathon training started this week too. So far we have logged in 12 miles this week and will have 28 by the end of the week. It appears I am going to have to tweak the weight lifting portion of working out because we are at the gym for about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I am not sure how long we will be able to do that, chia seeds or not! I dont want to lose muscle though and neither does Mike but it is gonna have to happen. On the upside we will lean out and be very cardiovascularly fit!

8 comments:

edluv said...

"cant not do"

doesn't that mean you can take 11 weeks off work to be on a jury. you're lucky the judge didn't catch that. ;p

Lulu said...

Sure it is a double negative but it makes sense. Is it more clear if I say "I can't just not do my job" instead? My apologies to the grammer police;)

Adam said...

Did the Kaiser Peak trail with my brother and dad a year or two ago on an overnight trip. We carried full packs, hiked up to the saddle below the peak, then stashed our packs to hike the summit. I believe we stayed overnight at Jewel Lake which is off to the right of the saddle when you're coming up the trail.

Check the map here. The topo makes it look steep and it is in parts but there's actually a pretty decent mountain goat sort of trail made by enough people blazing down to the little lakes.

If you wanted to make it a really long loop, you can actually hit the peak, drop down the saddle and reconnect with a different trail at George Lake. You'll still come back down to Huntington at the end.

Lulu said...

Cool! Thanks Adam! I think Jewel Lake was where Mike was talking about staying overnight. Good views from the summit?

Adam said...

Great views from the summit. You can see several lakes, several mountains like Ritter Peak and the rest of the Minarets.

Adam said...

In fact, here are my pictures.

Lulu said...

Great pics! What time of year did you go?

Adam said...

That was in August.