Friday, October 2

Product Review: Pecan Pie Larabar


I was reading an Eat This, Not That article that listed the Pecan Pie Larabar as the best snack bar so I decided to give it a try. If you ever had a Larabar they are very natural, unprocessed and raw which can take some getting used to. The bar seems a little small too but it is quite dense. The only ingredients are dates, pecans and almonds so it is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, has no added sugar, sodium free, vegan and kosher, pretty much your perfect health food. Even for me this is a little healthy though so I was a little apprehensive about how it might taste.

Since the line at Starbucks went out the door I couldnt stop this morning for coffee and my turkey bacon sandwich I decided to try this instead and it was pretty darn good. It tasted like a glorified Fig Newton and since it contained pieces of nuts it felt like I was eating something a little more substantial. Usually when I have bars for breakfast I end up feeling like I haven't eaten enough and need more but I felt satisfied after eating this. I am a huge nut and dried fruit girl too and usually eat both every day so this really appealed to my palate.

It is now about 2 hours later though and I am getting hungry so a better snack than a meal, great before a workout. I will definitely eat this again. Here is the nutritional breakdown:

Calories: 200 (snacks should usually be no more than 200 calories for most people and these calories are coming from completely natural food so I am good with this)
Protein: 3 grams (kinda low so this might make a better pre workout snack than post)
Carbs: 22 grams (see comment above, definitely pre workout, especially if you are doing a heavy cardio workout)

2 comments:

Monticore said...

Interesting I might have to give these a try

Lulu said...

I also had an apple pie one this weekend that was really good. Again though, it is not your typical nutrition bar, it is very dense and not overly sweet. But if you want to go with all natural it is definitely the way to go!