Monday, August 24

Gym Rant!

Yesterday at the gym I went to the weight room to use the treadmill. Weekends aren't very busy and there was one man back at the cardio area standing in front of the tv watching the Giants game. The rule of the tv in the gym has always been whoever is there first gets to decide what to watch and even though he wasn't working out I didn't say anything and started running. After a few minutes he left and I even waited a few minutes to make sure he wasn't coming back before I got off the treadmill to change it because I loathe watching baseball on tv, particularly when exercising because that game is just so damn slow. I happily found some UFC on Spike and started watching.

After around 25 minutes of running a man came in and got on the stair master. He was on the machine for about 5 minutes when, in the middle of the second round of a pretty good fight, he gets off and changes the station on the tv without so much a glance in my direction. And what does he change it to, the Giants game. Which was over. Are you fucking kidding me fucktard?? Do you think you own the tv and don't find it neccessary to consult me, the person who was here before you, if you want to change the station? Do you think because I am a girl I don't like to watch UFC? Or do you think because you have a dick you own every tv you come across?

Common curtesy and gym etiquite says that the rule of the tv is as follows:
1. Whoever was there first has control of the station.
2. If someone was there before you and you want to watch comething else, you ask whoever was there if it is ok to change the station. If they don't want it changed tough shit, you should have gotten there earlier.
3. If there are multiple people there before you, you consult all of them before changing the station.

If he had asked if he could change it, I probably would have said that was fine since I only had about 15 more minutes anyway. But the fact that it didn't even cross his mind that he should ask if it was ok is just rude. I could have said something but I am not that confrontational so I just shot him a look of pure disgust and decided to blog about it.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Well duh. He probably only needed to consider you if it was on Oprah or Bridezillas.

I love how there was no one else there that could have changed the channel but you and yet he still didn't acknowledge it and went and changed the channel back anyway.

Monticore said...

At least he didn't put it on hunting.

edluv said...

not to excuse this person's behavior, because he or she should have asked before changing the channel, but maybe he or she assumed you weren't watching that particular program, or the tv at all. i know the assumption is false, but maybe he or she assumed that it was on that channel previous to your workout and that you didn't bother to change it.

would your reaction have been the same if it had been a woman that changed the station?

Lulu said...

Sure he probably did just assume I wasnt watching it. It is a reasonable assumption but thats why you ask, to make sure that they werent watching it.

And yes I absolutely would have had the same reaction if a woman had done that. I however have never once seen a woman do it, in my experience they always ask first.

miriam said...

Having been a Centerpoint member, I would have asked first. Most likely he thought since you were a female you couldn't possibly be watching two grown men duke it out in a homoerotic boxing match.

You should have just shown him the err of his ways by putting him in a headlock or a knee to the side like one of those fighters.

Lulu said...

He wasnt a big guy, I could have taken him:)